Subwoofer Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to get bored with the stock shallowmount subwoofer located inside the tailgate. Several months ago I took my LR3 to a audio shop. They recommended the shallow mount 10" by Pioneer to go in place of the stock 10". I would also get a separate amp, preferably 800watts+ for the woofer. They said something about the LR3 stock wiring not being able to fit the sub/amp..? I'm not so sure because I've seen many people do the same project with their subwoofer. Has anyone done dual subs in an MDF box with a larger amp? I don't mind losing cargo space. Just want some bump. Thanks.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually mounted a JL Audio 8W3v3 in my LR3 and used a JL 250x1 amp for it. Also used a line converter and tapped into the sub output from the factory amp. Wired it all to a nice control knob that mounted behind my parking brake and it actually hits harder than I ever imagined.

My friend initially mounted the Pioneer Shallow mount in his stock location and it did take a little bit of cutting of the factory mount. It was a fairly cheap sub and he ended replacing it with a Rockford one that hit pretty hard, unfortunately it also rattled the tailgate outside no matter how much dynamat he put in there. This is why i went the way i did. It is enough bass to feel it and render my mirrors useless but sound great when listening to different types of music. Also being able to turn it down with a quick turn of the knob makes it nice to adjust the bass on the fly and when the kids are with me without having to go thru the audio settings in the stereo itself
5645938297_310841467f_z.jpg

IMG_1000000130 by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr
5646493636_2933e95228_z.jpg

IMG_1000000128 by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to show this to my audio shop. They seem to think it's impossible. I'll look for another shop who is willing to do it. Thanks.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ncb, Give my friend William a call @ 1 OFF RIDES. His shop is in Lake Mary and he is a MIRACLE WORKER! He will make your install look OEM. 407.470.9786

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9