Swivel pin housing and cv joint gasket and seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royaub

Reaction score
Hi all
I've got a 1995 defender 110 and am very new to mechanicing. I have to replace all the seals and gaskets for the swivel point housing/cv joints. Due to short funds I have to try and do it myself. My questions are:

1. Can anybody tell me a part number(s) for the swivel pin housing and cv joint gasket and seal kit? I have seen it at Paddocks but I'm not sure which is which.

2. Is there any special tools needed to do this?

3. Can anybody supply any photo's/ instructions on how to replace them?

ps. The gasket that has gone is the very back one where it connects to the front axel. If I am going to do this one I might as well do all of them while I've got the hub and swivel head off.

I'm very grateful for any help.
Roy

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roy,
Don't do anything till you get the CD or a shop manuel. Then plan on inspecting/replacing the front bearing in the hub and all seals. Read up on how to set up the pre-load on the swivel, find a big breaker bar and torques wrench to remove the front axle nut and only install Rovers new packets of grease, not gear oil, for better wear protection and less leaks.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I've got a 1995 defender 110 and am very new to mechanicing. I have to replace all the seals and gaskets for the swivel point housing/cv joints. Due to short funds I have to try and do it myself. My questions are:

1. Can anybody tell me a part number(s) for the swivel pin housing and cv joint gasket and seal kit? I have seen it at Paddocks but I'm not sure which is which.
It can vary depending on the axle serial number. Give Paddocks a ring with that information and i'm sure they can tell you what you need.
How is your steering. Do you get steering wobble when hitting slight bumps in the road? If not your swivel pins are probably ok and you can save money by not doing them. Depending on funds and time, you might want to consider it anyway, due to the age, and assumed mileage on your defender.
Assuming you have the standard Rover front axle, and want to do the swivel pins too, this is probably the kit you need.
http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Axle/Swivel_Kit_-_no_ball_-_front_axle_to_KA930455.html
For the hub seals (which don't appear to be in the kit) use RTC3511, http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Axle/-_90in_to_axle_23L03666B_-_LHD.html

If all you're doing it replacing the gasket between the axle housing and swivel ball, and the large swivel ball oil seal, then you won't need to take apart the swivel housing.
Just:
Remove the caliper (hang it out of the way with stiff wire)
remove the drive flange
Remove the hub nut
Pull the hub off
remove the stub axle
pull the half shaft
Undo the bolts at the swivel ball-axle
Clean and inspect the hub bearings, but be careful not to mix innner and outer. While they are the same PN, you don't want to mix and match used cones and cups.
You'll need to repack them well or pack the new ones.
Clean and fit the new gaskets and seals on re-fitment.
Don't forget to clean the old grease from the swivel housing and add new.

You'll need
axle housing-swivel ball gasket
large swivel ball oil seal
stub axle to swivel housing gasket
hub oil seal
drive flange gasket.
You might want to have a set of hub bearings on hand just in case. They are only a few quid. They are a common bearing, Timken SET37, SKF BR37, *** KIT38 or you can get them from Paddocks as well.
You will need some loctite 270 for assorted bolts.
Hube bearing grease.
Swivel housing grease.

2. Is there any special tools needed to do this?
Aside from a torque wrench, no. A hub nut socket is a good to have, but not essential. It's a deep 52mm. You can get them in stamped steel or forged like regular sockets for a lot of money.

3. Can anybody supply any photo's/ instructions on how to replace them?
As others have said, the manuals on CD or download Rave are your best bet.
My reply is based on having the Rover axle, but to be safe get the axle number and ring Paddocks if you can't figure it out from their website with axle number in hand.

Last edited:

royaub

Reaction score
hub / Swivel housing bearing

Thanks tom I been to paddocks today decided to replay all the hub / Swivel housing bearing /seals /gaskets & downloaded the 110 parts / works book thanks to this forum

Thanks for the help next is to do it not looking forward to it :frown::albertein

Roy

royaub

Reaction score
Hi tom just a update thanks for the help. job all done at to replays the swivel ball as well but all went ok next job the other side thanks a Gen

royaub

Reaction score
It can vary depending on the axle serial number. Give Paddocks a ring with that information and i'm sure they can tell you what you need.
How is your steering. Do you get steering wobble when hitting slight bumps in the road? If not your swivel pins are probably ok and you can save money by not doing them. Depending on funds and time, you might want to consider it anyway, due to the age, and assumed mileage on your defender.
Assuming you have the standard Rover front axle, and want to do the swivel pins too, this is probably the kit you need.
http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Axle/Swivel_Kit_-_no_ball_-_front_axle_to_KA930455.html
For the hub seals (which don't appear to be in the kit) use RTC3511, http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Axle/-_90in_to_axle_23L03666B_-_LHD.html

If all you're doing it replacing the gasket between the axle housing and swivel ball, and the large swivel ball oil seal, then you won't need to take apart the swivel housing.
Just:
Remove the caliper (hang it out of the way with stiff wire)
remove the drive flange
Remove the hub nut
Pull the hub off
remove the stub axle
pull the half shaft
Undo the bolts at the swivel ball-axle
Clean and inspect the hub bearings, but be careful not to mix innner and ourter. While they are the same PN, you don't want to mix and match used cones and cups.
You'll need to repack them well or pack the new ones.
Clean and fit the new gaskets and seals on re-fitment.
Don't forget to clean the old grease from the swivel housing and add new.

You'll need
axle housing-swivel ball gasket
large swivel ball oil seal
stub axle to swivel housing gasket
hub oil seal
drive flange gasket.
You might want to have a set of hub bearings on hand just in case. They are only a few quid. They are a common bearing, Timken SET37, SKF BR37, *** KIT38 or you can get them from Paddocks as well.
You will need some loctite 270 for assorted bolts.
Hube bearing grease.
Swivel housing grease.

Aside from a torque wrench, no. A hub nut socket is a good to have, but not essential. It's a deep 52mm. You can get them in stamped steel or forged like regular sockets for a lot of money.

As others have said, the manuals on CD or download Rave are your best bet.
My reply is based on having the Rover axle, but to be safe get the axle number and ring Paddocks if you can't figure it out from their website with axle number in hand.
Hi tom just a update thanks for the help. job all done at to replays the swivel ball as well but all went ok next job the other side thanks a Gen

royaub

Reaction score
Glad it went ok. Wasn't too bad, was it? :wink:

Hi Tom yes the swivwel head went really well unfortunatey I have another problem now. I've tried to repair the ball joint on the drop arm, which is very worn; got the old collar out no problem, but can't get the new collar back in. I tried to get the drop arm off for a closer inspection and can't get it off, any suggestions?
Thanks Roy
ps do you know if there is a specific sized puller for it, I think mine may be too small.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM