Tailgate Open Fault Alert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GBRover

Reaction score
I have started to get the "Tailgate Open" alert on my dash. When I try and open then close the tailgate I am unable to even open it. It seems locked shut. If I turn the car on, open and close the locks then try and open the tailgate it will usually open. Once opened however, I go through the same problem of seeing the "tailgate Open" fault announcement on my dash and am unable to actually open the tail gate. Very frustrating..... Just two weeks ago I was getting the "front hood" fault announcement and had the latch mechanism replaced. Could this be at all related?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if there are actuators going bad...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the vehicle thinks the tailgate is already open, and is therefore not allowing the actuators to go through their "open" cycle when you press the button.

I am not sure what sort of sensor determines whether the tailgate is open or closed, but I would guess that is your problem.

Benner

Reaction score
Actuator is bad. This happened to my LR4 about a year ago. I had it replaced under my warranty so unfortunately can't tell you how much it costs to fix..

GBRover

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I am at 90,000 miles now. Out of my extended 85,000 warranty. Hope this is not too expensive to fix. Really want to keep my LR4 because I absolutely love it and hope repairs do t increase.

GBRover

Reaction score
Anyone know what the dealer may charge to replace the tailgate actuator? I am dreading the repair but love the car! Thanks.....

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the dealer may charge to replace the tailgate actuator? I am dreading the repair but love the car! Thanks.....

Just call them and ask. It's common enough they can probably tell you.

In the alternative, it doesn't look like too bad of a DIY job:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FUG500010G

http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/accessing-lower-tailgate-actuator-cable-lr3/

If you are not the DIY type, you can buy the parts and take it to a local, independent mechanic who can do it for you.

GBRover

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately not a DIY guy. I have seen some posts that suggest this repair can be reoccurring. Certainly hope not. My guess is another $600. Trying to de ide when to trade in my vehicle which has 93,000 miles. I love it V8 etc.... and certainly not going to buy new Discovery first year out.

Welcome some additional thinking on all of this.

Mr confused...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM