Taking the Rover off road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racehorse

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I'm itching to get off road with my LR3 and I read the posts about what to buy and such for off roading. I'm a newby so I'm trying to get a feel for my rather naive question.

Do you think it's OK to take the Rover off road without the extra armor say on one of the sponsored trips or just trying to learn with buddies?

I just didn't want to get the point where it was an obvious: 'man, you never go off roading in your LR3 without rock sliders' type thing and have to pay for something very expensive to repair.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Even with the stock crappy GoodForOneYear tires, the LR3 is amazing off road and very capable. The armor and so forth is interesting in a way. The newbie off road will benefit from it, because you will endeavor to a bit more adventurous with it on. Additionally, the advanced driver will appreciate it because where he's going, he's gonna need it.

But for "normal" off road use, its not required, just go slow, walk the line first, have a spotter you trust, and go slow. And make sure you go slow. Left foot braking is a good skill to work on, because you will want to go slow. Have I mentioned that off roading is where you "go as slow as possible, but as fast as neccessary"? I just want to make sure you understand that SLOW is good.

Here is why. You won't compress your suspension as much if you are going slow, which means your truck will not squat down and whack the rocks with its dainty undersides. If you have too much energy, you will compress the suspension, and touch the rocks. That's when you start learning the distinctive tone differences between cheap noises and expensive noises.

Exhaust, cheap. Bumpers, very pliant, gas tank, very expensive! Drive accordingly :)

Here are a few good videos all with stock LR3's:
YouTube - Biosphere Expeditions: Driving a Land Rover

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say do it. However, just be extra careful and get some GOOD spotting if you are facing any obstacles that might have you getting close to your sensitive spots....I'd say on the LR3 the rocker panels are the least-protected. Watch your approach and your back-end too.

With OE tires you won't be able to tackle much mud or loose dirt or sand...but if you're on fairly firm ground or rocks you should be okay. I think if it's a dealer Wheels Event you ought to be fine too, in general.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get going! The LR3 is the most capable stock off-road vehicle I have owned since my old Jeep CJ. I do a fair amount of wheeling and I'm still looking forward to getting sliders someday, so you don't "need" that stuff. The exceptioon is tires. Get some tires made for off-roading. The key to any technical driving, as Nathan says, is going slow. Be kind to your ride and it will return the favor. The technical gadgetry of terrain response and hill descent will help you do this like no other vehicle. The LR3 is geared low enough in low range to let you really tackle technical terrain deliberately and in control (meaning slowly). Take it easy until you get comfortable with more technical stuff. Go with some other drivers with experience so they can show you their tricks about approaching obstacles. Always keep the vehicle pointed straight up or straight down on inclines (so you keep the shiny side up). Use your judgment and don't push yourself or your LR3 beyond what common sense and your comfort level dictate. Oh, and have FUN! Dont worry about a "fun mark" here and there. They happen to even the best drivers.

Last edited:

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three years ago, I did Gold Mountain with 26k miles on my G***dyears and running boards. It was a little foolish, but by going slow, even with the running boards, we did fine. As Nathan says...SLOW is GOOD. An easy controlled throttle is your friend. Take it easy and you should be fine and when you are done, you will be really stoked!. If you are in So Cal get in touch with one of us...

jbrockiii

Reaction score
I got stuck 3 times this year due to mud- mud is my biggest obstacle. The stock tires suck. I would highly recommend putting better off road tires on your rig.

Attachments

• DSC02757-2.JPG
    DSC02757-2.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 140

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got stuck or stopped with the stock tires many times in mud, too. They are just not suited for it and don't fool yourself into thinking that you can get by. Tires are the most important upgrade for wheelin, IMO.

Mud is no longer my problem...

Attachments

• LR3 through mud pit.JPG
    LR3 through mud pit.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 143

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes go on a run use your stock tires you will be hooked and be putting better tires on soon, I have ran with Avon street tires for a year, I have gone everywhere with everyone else with very little problems but thos tires are gone now :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM