The Best LR3 All Season/Terrain Tire Thread of 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thorgal, I'm planning on buying the Hakkapaliitas in the fall. Do you think the WRG2s would be a better choice?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hakkas are great in snow, although I have noticed some diminished traction after 4 seasons (15000 miles). Don't use them after it warms up or they will wear really fast. I've got the Hankooks for the other 3 seasons, which were highly rated and I like quite a lot.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm

If I remamber correctly you where looking at Nokians for a while ( we have been on this board for some time , have 't we?).The greatest thing about WRG2s is that you can wear them year around, Hakkas are strictly winter oriented tire and using them 365 a year would be risky, due to soft compound and excessive noise during summer months.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
For the stock tire size, Pirelli Scorpion ATR are fantastic quiet, decent in snow.
If we do this right every possible tire will be mentioned.

I'll vote again for the ATRs. I'm on my second set and approaching 100k within the next month or 2. Overall, they are very quiet on the highway, wear well if you rotate/balance, and hold strong in water too. Being in SFL, I don't have experience with snow.. Sand yes, they work well there too.

san6279

Reaction score
Currently running Michelin Latitudes, which are okay except for the stiff sidewalls. Quite a bit of tread left at 35K when the OEM GY's were done at same mileage. Next set will definitely be the Nokian WRG2s. From all I've read a great all weather tire, especially for PNW weather. I've heard the Hakkas aren't that great with slush, but don't believe everything you hear on the web.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find that hard to believe, about the slush. ....seems like what they are designed for. I imagine you'll put a ton of miles on your Latitudes.

Here is my situation. I don't drive much these days because I moved a few years back and am <2 miles from work; which I generally ride or walk to. I ride on my street tires (Michelin Synchrones) September - February'ish and then put the MT/Rs on for spring and summer because that's when we go off-road most.

Thorgal, that's why I have still yet to pull the trigger on the new tires after all this time. Roverman, point taken on the summer use aspect. I wonder what sort of performance drop-off there is between the Hakkas and the WRG2s...I'd like better wear, but then again it would take me about 5 years to rack up 15,000 miles so maybe I just shouldn't care...???

san6279

Reaction score
We have run the Hakka R's the last 4 winters and I need to get new winter tires as well. The Hakka R's were very quiet, handled well (not squirmy in truck ruts) and amazing in deep snow. No issues driving in 3 feet of unplowed snow to get to a ski condo in Maine. However, they are scary in deep slush. Here in the Boston area it seems to rain before or after it snows. On one trip we had to crawl along since the road was covered in heavy slush and the Hakka R's constantly hydroplaned on it. I will probably go with WRG2's this time around. Slush is just more common around here than deep snow.

The above is the quote I remember from this site regarding slush. However, heavy slush may be hard for any tire. The above is not a comparison obviously.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WRG 2s where designed especially for slush and i have come across many in NJ winters where there is rain before it snow or the other way around, many times.Look at their design, vertical side and inside cut are plow thru slush like knife thru butter.I always find myself too safe in such conditions to the point that it is deceiving on my brain. These tires are superior for what they were created for.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....well, I have 8 months to think about it I guess. Slush is probably more of an issue here (in WA) too. Then again I'm driving the Rover to the Yukon next March (2014) so I may need the best snow tire I can get.

...I imagine the WRG2s would be fine even for that trip, though.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Pirelli ATRs, granted they are not that aggressive for an AT, but they have better road manners - really quiet - than the Michelin Lat's they replaced. They also are the best tires for hydroplane resistance that I have experienced. Good traction on dry or damp dirt/gravel, but not in the same league as the Cooper Zeons offroad, which I have found to hum a bit on the highway and do not offer the same levels of dry/wet traction as the ATRs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635