The Disco Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

vandermeulen

O.K. so I've had this thing - 96' Disco for about 2 months now. You all have been a great help so far. Ever since I've had it, it shakes at around 60-70mph (110-120 km/h - I'm Canadian). I've balanced the wheels, replaced bad tie rods, panhard arm and replaced the rubber flex coupling (rotoflex) and it still shakes, albeit not as bad. I haven't tried replacing the steering dampner yet and evidently my shocks (all around) are going. What's the liklyhood that it may just be that the front shocks, that are bad, are causing this? or should I replace the steering dampner? It's starting to drive me nuts when I'm on the highway. (no lift -yet; standard stock size tires -Michelin's).

BTW: 2 months:
Replaced all 4 rotors, pads all around, pinion seals (fr & back), rotoflex, plugs, wires, fuel filter, wheel bearings, shifter console, re-soldered window ecu (back windows weren't working - good now), tie rods, panhard, new alt this Friday and many more items to go. (O2 sensors, 1 Cat, shocks, engine seals (future project) etc.....)

I think I'm restoring it! (but luving it anyway!)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you balanced wheels properly or generically? :) LR's wheels arent balanced on center hole as most of others. Scary but most alignment shops dont know that.

Front shock themselves wont really cause it, unless they are way off and you got mud tires.. I personally would check both shafts for play in either end (bolts not tightened, pinion bolt deciding to go off) and ujoints (typical cause - rotoflex and front shaft u-joints)..

V

vandermeulen

To be honest. I told the shop I took it to that they can't balance them from center. and I asked them again when they finished. However, since most (not all) shops won't let customers into the shop area, it's hard to confirm.

I have replaced the rotoflex and I checked for any play in shafts. Didn't seem like there was any.

Is there a correct procedure to check the steering dampner?

D

discomike

Thomas,
Assuming the preload on your swivel joints are good, I would lean toward shocks and more so the stablizer shock. If your shocks are weak you can start a shake and if the stablizer is gone, you have lost the battle.
By the way, if your shocks have over 40,000 miles, they are weak for a heavy Rover go put on some OME's.
Good luck,
Mike J.

V

vandermeulen

Thanks. I was hoping to be able to wait a few months before changing shocks as I was hoping to be able to afford new springs for a little lift and change the shocks at the same time. Maybe I'll try the stabilizer first. The truck has about 80,000 miles on it. Allot has been changed (got all the service records when I bought it), but the shocks don't seem to be one of them.
As for OME shocks....do they fit in place of stock...or is there some fabricating or "fandangling" to do?

Also, I was thinking of about a 2" lift in the near future. Probably OME as well. What do you think would be best 762's etc.....and do I need to move brake lines etc.

And since I'm already asking allot.....does anybody know a good, inexpensive supplier of LR compatible parts in Canada (Toronto,Ont).

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well...
do jumpy-jumpy test for front end to see if shocks are way off. They wont really cause vibration but they will amplify whatever is there. I.e push one of sides standing in front of truck and see if it keeps bouncing. If it does - time for new suspension may come anyway - disco is heavy enough to get into lovely issues if you do line change abruptly and with bad shocks.

there is no really good test to see if dampener is snuffing it. Generally you shouldnt be able to extend compress it too fast and with very little force. Even soft ones should take application only in slow motion and with like 20lbs of force..

put your truck on stands and try to shake wheels at 6 and 12. Bearings going bad make cause some weirdo noises and vibration on certain speed. Also would be good idea to check swivel preload and level of grease/oil in swivel housings.

other than that - if you havent got lift lately, it can be
- something with ignition (all the way from sparky plugggies to coil) - but then you would have some rough running and bad idling
- mounts going south - then again, you should notice it at start...

Personally i think its badly balanced tyres or alignment (have you done it after replacing tie rods & etc?). If its not u-joints, not shafts and not bearings - you may just have to live with it :) Not many shops can balance them beasts properly.

D

discomike

Thomas,
I would say they are gone at 80K. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to test the shocks, the little bouncing we are able to do to the front end of our Rovers won't even make the shocks do there thing, all you'll be doing is fighting the compression of the springs.
There are no modifications required for OME's, and you might want to check out the web site for Expedition Exchange for spring references.
Have fun with the changes, you'll love the differences it will make.
Mike J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM