The little things...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Thanks for the help so far, this weekend I put a deposit on an 08 HSE with almost all of the goodies. The dealer had a fair price, and wouldnt budge from it. And I found a similar truck at 2 other dealers, and they would not meet/beat the original price.

So I've made a deposit, and plan on picking it up next weekend. The wife and I are very excited...

Just some questions about things that maybe I should know already, but I'm not quite sure about...

1) Recovery points: If I pick this truck up Wed, it will be on the beach by Saturday. So I want to make sure I'm at least covered for the maiden voyage. Seems like a 3" 30k strap would suffice, and a couple 3/4" shackles? Thats already in my kit... Anything else needed to attach a strap?

2) Rear power points: Is there a rear 12v power plug to hook up anything? In particular, an Arb Freeze/Fridge, which is probably my favorite off-road gadget ever. Is there a 110v outlet back there too? I thought I recall a 110v on the full-size RR, dont remember if there was one on the LR3.

3) Passenger lumbar: Is there a manual adjustment wheel for passenger lumbar on the 08 HSE?

4) Mats: Does anyone have any favorite mats, I couldnt find a cargo cover that was cut to allow one of the 3rd row seats to operate? I usually just buy the weathertech mats from mats.com, but would be interested in a cargo cover that allowed 1 3rd row seat to flip up.

5) Do all LR3's come with a rear 2" reciever hitch, under the plastic bumper cover?

Thanks all.

Looking forward to picking up the rig.

-jpl

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Thanks for the help so far, this weekend I put a deposit on an 08 HSE with almost all of the goodies. The dealer had a fair price, and wouldnt budge from it. And I found a similar truck at 2 other dealers, and they would not meet/beat the original price.

So I've made a deposit, and plan on picking it up next weekend. The wife and I are very excited...

Just some questions about things that maybe I should know already, but I'm not quite sure about...

1) Recovery points: If I pick this truck up Wed, it will be on the beach by Saturday. So I want to make sure I'm at least covered for the maiden voyage. Seems like a 3" 30k strap would suffice, and a couple 3/4" shackles? Thats already in my kit... Anything else needed to attach a strap?

2) Rear power points: Is there a rear 12v power plug to hook up anything? In particular, an Arb Freeze/Fridge, which is probably my favorite off-road gadget ever. Is there a 110v outlet back there too? I thought I recall a 110v on the full-size RR, dont remember if there was one on the LR3.
yes

3) Passenger lumbar: Is there a manual adjustment wheel for passenger lumbar on the 08 HSE?

4) Mats: Does anyone have any favorite mats, I couldnt find a cargo cover that was cut to allow one of the 3rd row seats to operate? I usually just buy the weathertech mats from mats.com, but would be interested in a cargo cover that allowed 1 3rd row seat to flip up.

their are oem ones CHEAPER ON EBAY heavy rubber and I like them

5) Do all LR3's come with a rear 2" reciever hitch, under the plastic bumper cover?

no that is extra same with trailer wiring.

Thanks all.

Looking forward to picking up the rig.

-jpl

You will love it as soon as you get different tires. and modified rods:hello:

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will love it as soon as you get different tires. and modified rods:hello:

Thanks Drz!

I'm actually very much looking forward to it.

I've promised my wife to leave it be for a bit, I've ended up with a couple of modified vehicles that in turn needed to be towed to the trails. : )

I'm looking forward to a capable rig for family and beach duty, and actually starting to wheel again. Our son is 20 mos old now, so hopefully we can sneak in a day trip and a night in a tent.

I could probably sneak in a set of tires... In a previous life I used to drive a long-armed grand cherokee on 34" bias ply swampers. At 35 mph it sounded like a cessna about to take off, and by highway speeds, it was somewhere around a loud roar.

I've got a set of Toyo Open country's on my current rig, and I've been very happy with them.

The 19" wheel is going to be annoying shopping for tires, I can tell.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You will also need a $.10 dime. This will be used to turn the plastic screws that go over the covers that hide the recovery points. They turn 90 degrees, they are t-shaped on the inside. So just a quarter turn, and they should drop right out.

You will also want an air compressor. If you still have the stock GoodForOneyear HP Wrangler tires, your sand performance may be disappointing. Be sure to air down to about 20psi, so pack an air compressor to reinflate at the end of the day. Drive in low range, 2nd and 3rd gear for max power and fun. TURN DSC OFF!

12v only, and its basically just a cigarette lighter, not up to the rigors of a dedicated ARB/Engle style refrigerator. You will want to run a seperate power cable to the battery, and perhaps a second battery set-up also. The LR3's are fussy about having exactly the right voltage available at start up to run all the electronic bits. I highly reccommend a second battery if you are running a frig. The LR3 comes equipped with a spare battery slot on the drivers side, so have it. There is a good thread in this forum about how to do it, part numbers for the regulator, etc...

Not sure. It comes and goes with the various model years. The Brittish are odd that way.

The OEM rubber mats are excellent, but I don't think it works with the rear seats. The OEM Floor mats are great, and the cargo mat is great if you need the full load space.

No, it's an accessory that you need to add. The dealers charge major dollars for it, you can get them on eBay MUCH cheaper. You need the rear harness and the hitch assembly also. It's very easy to install, but it is not stock.

Reccommendation #1: plan on buying better tires soon.
Reccommendation #2: Get your alignment checked/adjusted
Reccommendation #3: Take if off road and get your money's worth! The LR3 is an amazing rig.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NWoods-

Thanks for the full scoop!

I usually cruise the beach in low range at ~17psi, so thats where I was going to start with the stock rubber on the LR3. We'll see...

I'm surprised to hear the rear cargo 12v wont like my Arb fridge? You must know the unit, as you mentioned Engel... It draws an intermittent 1.2 amps/hr running as a freezer, even less as a fridge... something around the .8.

Now I just need to make sure I get the deal done! I made a deposit on the rig this Sat over the phone, and I was told it was considered sold. But until I have my grubby paws on it... : ) I might just go pick it up tmw and be done with it.

-jpl

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI-

The dealer has sold the truck I made a deposit on to someone else.

I dont buy/sell to many vehicles, so I was pretty surprised to hear this. In my mind, this falls squarely into the "unprofessional" category.

I'm officially soured on the LR3 experience before it even began...

damn.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Land Rover stealerships are probably the greatest obstacle we all have to overcome. I'm very sorry you had to experience that! Perhaps though, you can swing it in your favor. I would speak to the General Manager, and do two things
1. Ask for a different Sales Guide!
2. Ask for a better deal on a different LR3. I would insist, at the very least, that they discount the next one by an amount equal or better what your deposit was.

As for the ARB fridge, I thought they drew considerably more current than that? I don't own one, but the ExpeditionPortal forum and Overland Journal magazine that I quite enjoy seem to indicate this. The LR3 is particularly sensitive to voltage regulation, so even if the load is minor, I would recommend a second battery if you plan on adding a bevy of accessories.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bait(low price),Hook(deposit),Switch(sold it). A classic.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bait(low price),Hook(deposit),Switch(sold it). A classic.

That very well could be the case...

To be clear, this seemed liked a well-formed deal. It included me taking photos of my current truck to speak about ball-park trade-in values, as well as them pulling my credit history. Even though I was paying cash, I had them pull my credit to hold the truck for me (tier 1 credit). A salesperson even gave me the current odometer reading to confirm the truck wouldnt go out for a test drive.

I understand that they are in the business to sell trucks, but I feel that was a pretty underhanded move.

But now that you mention it, when the salesman got back to me to tell me the truck I was interested in was gone, he did 'offer' a similar alternative.

Maybe it was the old switch-a-roo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo