Thinking of buying an LR3.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axg1040

Reaction score
I have read as many posts as I can on this and other sites. I love the LR3 but the reliability issue continues to scare me away. I am looking at several certified pre-owned LR3s. They are 2007 model years. Is it safe to say Land Rover is making improvements each model year? Those that own LR3s...after the "bugs" are fixed...are they creeping back up? Do you continue to have problems?
Thanks!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like any product, the people with complaints will shout the loudest. many of those that are happy will not even bother to find a forum to ***** about it.

i just passed 50K on my LR3. there were more kinks to work out of my '05 than other cars i've owned, but nothing drastic and with each mile it seems more reliable.

if you've done this much research and you like the vehicle, just buy it. you'll love it. only caveat i would give is i wouldn't buy one w/o being a reasonable distance from an LR dealership. because when something does go wrong, even if it isn't major, it will likely require a LR only computer download or something.

buy it.

axg1040

Reaction score
Thanks. The dealer here is only a couple of miles away. The 07s I am looking at are the VIP loaners that they are now offering for sale. The all have less than 9k miles on them.
Anything I should watch out for?...other than making sure all TSBs, Upgrades, service, etc. has been done.
Thanks again.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
axg, do you do much outdoor stuff? Camping, hiking, off-roading? Do you live in an area with inclimate weather?

If the answer is "no" to all those, then there are other options you might consider. If you need the capability of a true off-road machine, then buy the LR3 and expect a few problems.

axg1040

Reaction score
I hate to say it but the weather here is not that bad that I would require a 4x4. I live in Virginia Beach and we get some snow but never more than a few inches or so. We go down to Nags Head, NC a couple of times per year and drive on the beach. I currently have an 06 Jeep Wrangler and it may see a decent trail or 2 each year. Other than that nothing that would require an LR3. Just love the ride and style of the LR3. Only thing holding me back is the reliability at this point.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
axg- I live in Georgia where the weather is not bad. I know I'll be fine if I run into difficult conditions and I believe you will enjoy the LR3. I have an 05 SE7 and been very pleased. This is my first jump into LR and as much as I've always admired them, I was hesitant because of the reliability issues. I'm glad I did make that decision and plan to stay in LR the family for years to come.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 spends a fair amount of time in the shop (about ~12 to 15 days per year), but really only for minor annoyances like rattles, squeaks, non functioning heated windshield, and the like - nothing mechanical. Seems like I go in to have one thing fixed and come out with another minor problem (e.g. navigation not working).

If I wasn't so particular or the dealer wasn't so nearby it'd be no problem.

For me the car is defnitely worth this level of hassle...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey dropper, how do you know (like, what did you observe) your windshield was not heating up?

axg1040

Reaction score
Have any of you towed with the LR3? I am planning on towing a 4k lb boat and am curious as to any towing feedback.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could tell it wasn't working as ice would not melt at the same pace in certain 2-4" wide vertical strips of the windshield. I asked them to check it and they said they used some sort of infrared scan to confirm.

New windshield just went on the car courtesy of LRNA :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis