Thinking of installing Yaesu FT-2900R Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of installing a Yaesu FT-2900R in my LR3 so that I can communicate with the trail groups etc. Is that a good idea/radio to work with?

Has anyone installed it before? I was thinking of putting in the mid console where NAV is supposed-to be, Since I have SE model, that spot is available. Have to check for dimensions though.

Also what is a good spot to install the antenna? Magnetic or permanent?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great tool for the trail, I mounted mine inside the rear driverside panel underneath the 12v plug. Ran lines for the face-plate and mic up to the console. Mounted speaker in the back next to storage cubby. Antenna should be mounted permanant to your roofrack. If you decide on a handheld then the magnetic would be the call. Good luck.

KJ6GRK

Last edited:

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks duckdive! What kind of radio do you have? Are there any pics for your install? Did you have to drill a hole for antenna or were able to work with something existing?

I am assuming at the bottom is your Call Sign?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Icom 208H. Here are a few pics I snapped. Didn't take any during istall. No drilling for the antenna. Ran the antenna wire from the unit out grommet behind tail light up and out the hatch to my roofrack. Yes that's my call sign.

Attachments

• 2meter 064.JPG
    2meter 064.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 2meter 065.JPG
    2meter 065.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 2meter 066.JPG
    2meter 066.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 2meter 067.JPG
    2meter 067.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 2meter 068.JPG
    2meter 068.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you duckdive for taking the time to snap pictures. Looks like a great setup you have going on. This gives me a good idea on how to do mine.

Thanks again :)

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ICOM 2200H mounted in the NAV Cubby. I use the internal speaker. Antenna is run through to the rear and mounts on a mount off of the roof rail. I have had the Radio since 2007 and only have issues with the mic (should be the same mike as duckdives) and that is with dust buildup in the PTT button causing it to quit working. For some reason I am being blocked out of my own gallery submissions so I can't link to the pics of my install but there are pics under my gallery submissions if you go and look.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the yaesu 8800 and did a very similar setup and it works really well this way. Keep the head unit in the little tray and the body in the back cubby. I actually just tucked mine back up in there. It will fit pretty far back that and I find its pretty snug when it gets in there. Good luck and welcome to ham radio!

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the yaesu 8800 and did a very similar setup and it works really well this way. Keep the head unit in the little tray and the body in the back cubby. I actually just tucked mine back up in there. It will fit pretty far back that and I find its pretty snug when it gets in there. Good luck and welcome to ham radio!

I have the 8900 which is the newer model and mounted it under the passenger seat. Put my head unit in the same place. Used a panavise mount for hanging th mic. Will get a pic up soon.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that at the end of the roof there is a lip with plastic covering. Since mine is SE model, I am assuming that opening is for GPS antenna that comes with HSEs.

I was thinking of using that spot to attach the Ham antenna, plus it will offer a good metal ground plane for it too. Wiring would be easy too. The trim inside pops off easily and you can see through the holes right to that opening from inside.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• LR3Antenna.jpg
    LR3Antenna.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9