Thinking of installing Yaesu FT-2900R Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that at the end of the roof there is a lip with plastic covering. Since mine is SE model, I am assuming that opening is for GPS antenna that comes with HSEs.

I was thinking of using that spot to attach the Ham antenna, plus it will offer a good metal ground plane for it too. Wiring would be easy too. The trim inside pops off easily and you can see through the holes right to that opening from inside.

Thoughts?

I don't believe the glass will help your ground plane. I spoke with a customer service person at gigaradio and they recommended a hood mount. Plus it is easy to remove and drop down for low bridges/garage.

IMG_0750.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should work OK.

The SAT NAV GPS antenna on the hi line models is located within the plastic of the high mounted brake light.

The hole is for the Sharks Fin that contains in the EU, the TV antenna, the cell phone antenna, and more radio antennas - in the States, the Sirius antenna and where there is the built in cell phone hookup option, a G type cell phone antenna.

The only concern re the rear roof hole is the glass roof and if the antenna catches on something and bends onto the edge of the glass. The Sharks fin is only glued to the glass in the hope that it will just skid off rather than crack the glass as it is destroyed upon impact - a frangible mount so to speak.

http://www.**************/gallery/albums/userpics/15405/Aerial Fin Image_20061020 (2)~0.pdf For the link to work, insert disco3 co uk with periods in the spaces.

In Australia, guys clamp onto the rear top of the roof track and run RG58U out the rear hatch or mount a bracket on the front or side of the bonnet.

A magnetic mount works well out the top of the rear hatch.

Attachments

• Antenna Mount Bonnet Edge.jpg
    Antenna Mount Bonnet Edge.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 45

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opened it and seems like it will do. Its actually on the metal and can offer ground plane if mounted correctly. Plus I have the detachable kind so the antenna is only mounted when needed. Attaching pic for explanation.

I won't have to drill holes as it is already present, and the wiring would be through the trims as the access is readily available.

Attachments

• AntennaHoleSmall.jpg
    AntennaHoleSmall.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 94

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geo, looks like you have found a creative solution, well done. Still, ask youself these questions before you proceed.

1. Are you going to have to reseal that cap after each time you dismount the antenna?
If not.
2. Will this area be 100% watertight? You don't want water getting down into that cavity.

Last edited:

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
duckdive, I did think about those points.

Here is what I am going to do. Drill a hole on the plastic cover the size of the mount. Thread it in and use rubber washer on top that came with it and a nut. At the base I will attach a metal bracket to the lower threaded part of the mount. Screw it on top and seal the plastic cover back on the metal body with epoxy. The mount will stick outside permanently, it has a top screw-in cap to protect it from water. The base bracket will provide snug tight fit and grounding to the antenna.

I think this is my plan. I will take pics when I do this mount. I am very confident this will be the ultimate clean solution.

Also I noticed that this part of the body is curved enough to not hold water for seeping in. I poured water there on it to see what happens. It doesn't even stay there to even cause any leakeage inside. Regardless it will be sealed anyway and is not even going to be an issue.

Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid plan Geo, please do post pics when your done. Look forward to seeing
your handy work!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9