"Thump" in steering.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

talkinghead

Yesterday on the trails I noticed a thumping noise comming from my steering. Its almost a slight pop when turning the steering wheel sharp, especially on rough terrain. Anyone know what this might be? steering damper?

97 D1

thanks for your help!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you had the Diff Lock on, this could be the cause. Remember Diff lock isn't advisable in very hard terrain.

It may have been the front diff making noises due to diff lock... if that is the case.

T

talkinghead

Diff lock was off at the time I noticed it...After you mentioned it I drove it with it locked and it did the same thing. Thankfully that rules out any concerns there.

I looked at the front end and there is some play in the steering assembly, but being the complete novice that I am, I have no clue what may need tightening etc. I'm going to take a better look at it tommorow though.

Joey, thanks for your expertise...your posts thoughout this forum have been very helpful.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have a shop or your self check the ball joints... sounds like they may be going bad. But then again since I can't see/hear the issue, I am sure you understand trying to fix something you can diagnose yourself.

D

discoinjapan

Ive had the same thing happen to me before with the stock springs. After I replaced the springs it never happened again. Could be a coincidence though.
Did it happen while your D1 was on a decline with your wheels turned?

T

talkinghead

Yeah actually. I notice it alot more when I am headed downhill. I'm going to be lifting it soon so we'll see if it helps. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635