Time to get a new key - WA/OR area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dochummer

Reaction score
I think it's finally time to get a second key for my 2005 LR3. I've been researching and it looks like I can pick up a key fob off of ebay for about $120 shipped or through bputah for $160 plus shipping. The dealership local to me wants $140 to program it. Does anybody know of a better place/price in the Washington/Oregon area? Also looking for a locksmith that won't charge me $35 to cut it. It looks like many people are getting them cut for about $10. :)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way anybody is getting them cut for $10. In fact, I doubt that is happening at all. I went to at least 4 locksmiths in the Seattle area (some specialty, some large high-tech) and NONE of them could cut the blank. I wound up sending it back to the EBAY seller and buying one from BP Utah that had no shank, then swapped out the shank from one of my other FOBs.

There are cutting machines that will do that sort of key, but the orientation is essentially the opposite of all the machines around and there is no way to do it. I hate to be negative or cynical about it, but I spent a considerable amount of time and effort trying to do it.

There are also some battery replacement techniques that have been written about on either this board or the lrr board....for those that have a bad key FOB and want to get it working again.

dochummer

Reaction score
That's good to know. I actually just ordered a blank from an ebay seller just to get a key that would unlock the doors if needed. I hope you're wrong, but probably not. In any event, I'll check around here and see if anybody can do it - otherwise I'll be sending it back to the seller.... :(

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, since we're both in the WA/OR area, if I'm wrong and you find a locksmith who can cut that...PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

dochummer

Reaction score
Success!

Ok, I ordered a $12 key blade off of ebay from the UK. Took it to the local locksmith but his sidewinder wasn't able to cut the key because it was too narrow (he had an older machine). I then spoke to a friend who works with the local Honda dealership. They just purchased a sidewinder machine about 6 months ago and they were able to cut the key. Retail for the cut was $24.95.

So YES! The key can be cut locally here in Eastern Washington.

As a side note, for those interested, the ignition can only be started with the key fob right next to the blade. I tried holding it in the general vicinity, but it would not start unless it was pretty much where it is supposed to be when starting the car.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then you had to put the cut blade onto a FOB, right?

dochummer

Reaction score
So then you had to put the cut blade onto a FOB, right?

Right now I don't have an extra FOB. I need to pick up one off of ebay and find someone local to program it. As of now, it'll be my backup to access the vehicle in case my only FOB gets lost or craps out. I figure if I have key access to the vehicle I can at least tow it myself rather than pay $$$ to have someone flatbed it to the dealership 250 miles away... :)

Right now I'm looking at $99 for the FOB and $60 to program in Utah...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$99 for the FOB? Is that an EBAY sale? I got one off EBAY and it was fine except that it was IMPOSSIBLE (by conventional means) to punch out the pin that held the blade in. So I got one from BPUtah that had no shank in it at all.

dochummer

Reaction score
Yeah, I was watching one at $99 that the seller says has not been programmed. I just saw another one pop up at $89 +$4 shipping but I need to email him to see if it has not been programmed. If the blade doesn't come out easily, I wonder if the local dealership can still cut with it attached to the FOB. I imagine they probably could... Have you found a cost effective way to program it locally?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49