timing belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

i20ar

Reaction score
I i'm new to land rovers you can say. My mother owns a 02 freelander v6. it was making some clicking noise from the side of the motor. I took one of the plastic covers that cover the timing belt off, and found that the belt was ripped!.. so now i'm thinking of changing the belts. i've been doing some research and i've read that you have to pull the motor to change the belts.

how true is this? Some one also said you don't need to pull the motor just lower it. I'm trying to figure out what is the best route to go with this.

thanks in advanced

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
According to the repair manual it doesn't say anything about removing the engine or lowering it, but there is almost 6 pages of info on how to do the job.

happyhippo

Reaction score
There are two timing belts, one in the front and one in back. (I assume you don't mean the ancillary belt) There's no motor moving involved but a lot of things to take apart. I haven't done this job but have read it's doable but no picnic. If one is that bad you should consider changing both. Don't wait till they break! Major damage then. It's also said that while you have all that apart to change the belts, change the idler and tensioner pulleys too. The bearings in those are usually about shot by then. How many miles on it?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they did, it was during the system upgrade... :( things happen.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I can't say for sure :biggrin: but I can say that we did lose a few posts during the upgrade.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72