Tire chains and 265/65 r18 tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting some tire chains this year. In looking at the clearances it looks really tight with this tire size for chains. Has anyone succesfully run chains with this tire size?? They are BFG All terrains incase it matters.
Thanks

Learth

Reaction score
just curious why you would pay for a 4-wheel drive (A high end LR3 no less), and then put tire chains on? Isn't part of owning a 4x4 knowing that you get to avoid the chain-up in the snow? This is a heavy vehicle, I doubt you would ever need chains on the West coast.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learth, there are situations where the California Highway Patrol will not let you proceed
without chains. Three years ago I ecountered this on the way to a ski trip up to Mammoth.
I'm not an expert on driving in the snow by any stretch (from San Diego) but I do know
on an Iced up road that gets lots of shade you can go into a slide no matter what tires
your running or how many lockers you have.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious why you would pay for a 4-wheel drive (A high end LR3 no less), and then put tire chains on? Isn't part of owning a 4x4 knowing that you get to avoid the chain-up in the snow? This is a heavy vehicle, I doubt you would ever need chains on the West coast.

While 4 wheel drive is an excellent aid in driving on snowy conditions it isn't always enough. I take mine up into the snow on the mountains and infact have already had it in 20" of powder this year. At the point I turned around I ended up burying it and shoveling myself out. Also all the traction aids in the world to get you moving does nothing to help you stop(Chains on the otherhand make major improvment, especially considering the mass it has to stop). I'm also planing to use the LR3 to tow my snowmobile up to the mountians this year rather then my truck and alot of the time the passes have a mandatory chain requirement when towing.

Learth

Reaction score
I've been driving in the sierras in the snow for decades and have never seen a condition where chains were required on 4x4s. I know you have to carry them though. There the DOT does have a condition level to require chains on 4X4s, I've just never seen it implemented. Also, chains aren't add any benefit on ice. The 4x4 is enough. I know first hand. Just my experience that chains on this car are waste of time and money.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find that to be so misleading. Anyone living in the mounts will at times need snow chains, especially when driving with 18" tires.
Our club, here in Colorado, the Solihull Society, has probably the best and most experienced drivers/wheelers around and along with our snow filled trails, know that chains are a must, along with the ability to use the CDL, ETC or lockers in the proper fashion.
The best chain to buy are the Rud chains and if you do a Google search for Bill Burke, you can read up and order from him.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find that to be so misleading. Anyone living in the mounts will at times need snow chains, especially when driving with 18" tires.
Our club, here in Colorado, the Solihull Society, has probably the best and most experienced drivers/wheelers around and along with our snow filled trails, know that chains are a must, along with the ability to use the CDL, ETC or lockers in the proper fashion.
The best chain to buy are the Rud chains and if you do a Google search for Bill Burke, you can read up and order from him.

What I am looking for is if the chains will actually fit on the oversized tires. I don't think they will fit in the rear at all because at full stuff they tend to just kiss the fender liner. The front doesn't appear to have much clearence either. I'm going to stop by my local tire shop on the way home today and see what they say. They will probably say no go, as they were nervous about putting these tires on there in the first place. They should know better what will fit and will not....
Thanks

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains are no benefit on ice? Rubber is as good as cutting into ice as metal? Using the same logic Learth, tennis shoes are as good as crampons for ice climbing?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan,
Fitness could be an issue, I will check with some of our local people and get back to you. If it is that tight, you may be limited only to cables.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the tire shop seemed to think if I needed to I could run them on the rear. As long as I don't get any major articulation. Any idea why Land Rover says to only use them on the front wheels?? Seems to me that with stock tires the rear would have more clearence then the front. No chains for know...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90