Tire Life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

juice

I’m driving an ’05 SE. With only 9 months and less than 15k miles on the vehicle, there is a loud, low-frequency knocking noise tied to the wheels. With little exception, I drive the vehicle gingerly on well paved roads.

My immediate guess was unbalanced wheels. A land rover tech confirmed the symptoms after a test drive, and concluded unbalanced wheels. The service advisor informed me that any work would only slightly quiet the issue….. I apologize for my cynicism, but am I to believe my less-than-year-old luxury vehicle will here on out sound like an old farm truck?

The vehicle was serviced with balancing and an alignment. Unfortunately, none of the problems were fixed.

I question the competence of the service team since:

1. the vehicle was returned with under inflated tires (over 7 psi off!)
2. the wheels were balanced with mud clinging to the rims
3. the vehicle continues to pull

After speaking to the service advisor, I was assured the wheels were properly balanced. What then is the cause of the low frequency knocking? I’m not ready to put the blame on damaged bearings or warped rotors. Could the tires be the source? They show no signs of improper wear, and no bulges are visible.

I would appreciate feedback on the life expectancy of the tires, owners of vehicles with similar problems, or further suggestions.

Thanks

R

roverdawg

I'm preparing to replace my tires. Just passed the 20,000 mile mark and they're looking fairly worn, treadwear is even though some very slight feathering. Have not experienced "knocking" noise or pulling. (LR3 HSE 255/55/R19)

J

jackmac

Your service experience was unacceptable. You brought the vehicle in with symptoms, and it was serviced, and returned with the same symptons?

I switched dealerships because of a similar experience very early on. I'm fortunate enough to have 3 dealers within 30-40 minutes drive.

You may want to discuss with the service manager. Especially for the pull. Did they do a rotation first? Should mention that I briefly had a pull (alignment was fine) which was solved by switching the left and right front tires. Go figure, but it worked.

Can't really help with the 'knocking' sound without experiencing first hand. No stones or other object stuck in any of the treads? Any difference in sound when accellerating or decellerating?

Also, depending on how long the wheels were out of balance, and how far out, it can have a detrimental effect on suspension components over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

juice

thanks guys.

jackmac -

The treads look clean. I’d hope the mechanic would inspect before balancing, but then the wheels were balanced with dried mud on the rims. The service advisor said the wheels returned with low road force numbers.

The noise occurs at a rate of one wheel rotation… increasing linearly with vehicle speed. If I shift the vehicle into neutral, the noise remains. Braking doesn’t intensify the sound significantly (rear wheels?). Also, at the current rate of wear on the tires, I could expect another year or two of life.

Could this be a sign of tread separation?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635