Tire Load Question - SL vs XL & <111-112?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mayday247

Reaction score
Help! I need to replace the tires on my 2005 LR3 SE and was wondering if there were any issues with using Standard Load tires versus the recommended Extra Load? Also, would a load index of 109-110 be okay versus the recommended 111-112?

99.9% of my driving is on-road (city) and I currently have 255/60R18 AvonTech tires which are rated (112V, XL). However, I wanted to go up in size to 265/60R18 and there isn't much available that meet Land Rover's recommended (111-112, XL)...lots of 109-110 SL tires though.

Many of the threads for 265/60R18 replacement tires recommend ones that aren't XL rated or in the 111-112 category so is it not that much of a concern unless you're doing high performance/mileage use? I don't know much about cars and tires so any advice/insight/suggestions would be great...Thx!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard pass. tires won't cut it on a Rover. Your truck came with 8 ply rated tires, I believe as did most Rovers in the past, standard tires are 2 ply and you need to look at the ply only.

mayday247

Reaction score
Standard pass. tires won't cut it on a Rover. Your truck came with 8 ply rated tires, I believe as did most Rovers in the past, standard tires are 2 ply and you need to look at the ply only.

Thanks Mike. Good to know. Unfortunately it's slim pickings for reasonably priced 265/60R18 XL tires, but I found some Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus (114T, XL) which should be fine for my beast.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to go up the size there is a Nokian WR G 2 all weather tire that comes in 265 60 18.Load rate is 114 .I don't know what your budget is , but I would not skip on good quality tire, it is after all your first and most important line of defense .Peaple tend to brag about a tire prices and recommend going a much, much cheaper route, many usually feel the need to buy the cheapest tire possible, but have no problem going to a restaurant almost every day or spent money on cases of beer daily.There is also another factor to consider, in case of accident , if you go a underrated tire route, no insurance company will give you money back , if they find out about lower, then required load range on your vehicle. Your money , your choice, good luck with findings.Cheers

mayday247

Reaction score
If you want to go up the size there is a Nokian WR G 2 all weather tire that comes in 265 60 18.Load rate is 114 .I don't know what your budget is , but I would not skip on good quality tire, it is after all your first and most important line of defense .Peaple tend to brag about a tire prices and recommend going a much, much cheaper route, many usually feel the need to buy the cheapest tire possible, but have no problem going to a restaurant almost every day or spent money on cases of beer daily.There is also another factor to consider, in case of accident , if you go a underrated tire route, no insurance company will give you money back , if they find out about lower, then required load range on your vehicle. Your money , your choice, good luck with findings.Cheers

Thx Thorgal. I didn't see any Nokian's available on the sites that I searched (Tirerack, Treaddepot, Simpletires, etc) and I searched a ton of them. I agree about not skimping on tires, but it's tough striking a balance between price/performance/aesthetics/etc. The Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus have the right specs (114T XL), are by a reputable manufacturer, were priced right and I really like the tread design which is similar to some Pirelli's. I guess I'll find out in a week if I made a good choice or not?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can check Nokian tires on tiresbyweb website.There might be another site, but I do not recall the name at this moment. good luck.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you checking to see if any of the tires you are looking at are 8 ply?

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my LR3 I wanted to put 265/60-18 Yoko AT-S tires with a 110LI. My LR3 was leased ($535 a month with $0 down - good ole days). I needed the tires to be LRUSA OK, as these are the tires I would return the vehicle with. They said as long as they had a LI of 110 or greater, a HR speed rating, and were within 2% of the OE diameter, I was OK. Hence, I went with the Yoko AT-S.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Goodyear HP was 8ply?? Haven't had them in a while. The zeon LTZ are 5 ply but are rated for 3klbs each. The Goodyear are 111 rating. I run blitzack 108 load rating during the winter and are 2.6klbs each which is enough for me. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99