Tire selection for 19" rim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires have you guys found to be a good replacement for the odd 255/55/19 tire size we have on our LR4s no fitted with the 20" rims.

Also what opinions do you have on finding a set of 20" rims... it seems like you can save a good bit of money going to 20" when having to change the tires?

How much can one expect to get for a set of 19" rims? $500? $1000?
I seem to be able to find a set of 20" for about $1300...

Long term savings on being able to buy 20" rubbers for cheaper?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our LR3 we run (255/55/19) Cooper Zeon LTZ's in the summer for beach driving and Nokian Hakka SUV-R's in the winter for snow.

The LR4 came with the Conti 4x4's. I will probably get a set of new Nokian Hakka R2's (in 255/55/19) for this winter.

If you need one tire for year-round, the Nokian WRG2 is a good choice. Pirelli Scorpion ATR would be another good choice.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a topic in which you will find a lot of information from previous threads. A lot of folks who want a more off road capable tire will opt for the 18" Compomotives. I have the 19" Cooper Zeon LTZs and I really like them for my blend of on and off road.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for an off road tire. Looking for a decent long lasting road tire that is quiet and economical... Most of the threads like you mentioned speaks about Off road tires...

Im also wondering if the $200 in savings per 4 tires is worth getting the 20" rims. Is there any market for 19" rims? Or will I find myself with 2 sets

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on selling my 19"n rims back to the dealer. hopefully i can get 500 or so for them. we will see. Honestly, if you plan on only getting road tires and never plan on leaving the asphalt, keep the 19". its not worth switching out to 20's.

I picked a set of compomotives and switched to 185/60/18 and installed the LLAMS height controller. Now I have a great balance of off road capabilities and road economy (by running ay -20mm while on highway).

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 20" rims with the Pirelli Scorpions. Good quiet tires, I had them on my wife's Volvo XC90 a few years back. But I got 17000 miles out of them, and the Volvo was a fraction of the weight of the LR4. I like the look of the Copper even thou I do not do any off roading. The truth is that almost anything is better than the Continentals. Had them on my 2010 and I have them on my wife's LR2.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though you don't want or need off road tires in 19" your best tire is going to be the Pirelli ATR. The cooper LTZ is an awesome tire but it will be louder than the Pirelli.

I have 20" Redbourne wheels with the Cooper LTZ and wouldn't own anything else. I bought the redbournes when I bought my 09 LR3 because I knew my next purchase would be another LR4 or Range Rover sport. if you want bigger wheels that will still cost you more than a set of tires.

On my two previous LR3's I ran the Pirelli ATR. Might be the most tame ATR tire available as far as road noise and you will get excellent life out of them.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried a few different tires on my LR3 and I liked the Michelins the best. When I wear out these Pirelli I'm going back to the Synchrone, I think Michelin calls it Latitude now.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the original Conti's with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP and I love them! We don't do a lot off-road so this was the right fit for us.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112