Tolerances for LR3 tread depth variances

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to rpelace 2 of my winter tires and wanted to find out how much I need to shave them down so that they are within tolerance of the 2 that are staying on the truck. I was able to find specs for audi, porsche and subaru but not rover. anyone know?

Here are recommendations from some of the manufactures that the Tire Rack currently serves for matching the tires used on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Additional recommendations from other Original Equipment Vehicle Manufacturers is pending.

Audi As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Porsche Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.
Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.

DuoRovers

Reaction score
Did you ever track this info down? I have similar issue/concern and have about 3/32"difference from front to rear. In this case it is on my full size RR but I have to assume the RR and LR3 would have similar specs. I spoke to the service writer at the dealership and he was not aware of a manufactures spec/tollerance. I was thinking of having the tires shaved to even them out but hate to shave down a good tire if it isnt necessary.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/32 is not much, just roll with it IMHO - it's within quattro spec, for example.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the LR salesman when I bought my 06HSE a couple of weeks ago since it needed new rears. He said with LR it doesn't matter. I tend to believe him because the differential system certainly seems to be much more flexible than the torsen system my audi a6 and allroad uses/used. At full steering stop either audi's front wheels will bind and lurch a little while the LR handles it like a 2wd would, no binding or lurching whatsoever likely due to a center differential that unlocks all the way.

I was always a little skeptical of those recomendations anyway as you will always have wheels rotating at different speeds unless only drive poker straight roads and never turn.

Additionallly the rover psi recommendations are lower in the front and higher in the rear which would naturally lead to a difference in diameter even on identical tires. I think it is a moot point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge