Tow-ball bike racks that allow the upper tailgate to open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a "hang" type bike rack since my "platform" type rack is a bit big and bulky for just chucking a few bikes on the back to go to the local trails. Does anyone know a current rack that allows the tallgate(s) to open? Upper only would be fine, if this avoids a complex heavy rack with tilt/swing options.

Cheers,

Fraser

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the one that I use. Slides right into the OEM Tow-hitch receiver. Not very heavy or complex, but does 'swing'/pivot right out of the way allowing upper and lower tailgates to open. It locks on to the receiver and there's a cable lock set up for bikes onto the rack. Easy and quick to install and remove. I'm happy with it. It has LR branding but was actually made by Thule. This one dates back to my LR3, but I think they still make similar.

upload_2021-5-15_18-14-29.jpeg upload_2021-5-15_18-18-32.jpeg upload_2021-5-15_18-21-6.jpeg
upload_2021-5-15_18-30-3.jpeg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with Thule (current) and Yakima racks of this design. The feature you want is fairly standard on this type of rack or any type for that matter. I currently use a Thule tray style rack and even it will release to allow the upper liftgate to open.