TOYO AT3 255/55/19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 5 Toyo at3 255/60/19 tires installed this am. Happy with the look and feel in a brief drive.

As noted here, it was a bit of a pill getting the spare in. Needed an extra set of hands to slowly ***** (lol typo’d winch and got shamed) the tire up while I was underneath finagling the wheel. Also had to remove the oem tow hitch, then replaced it after the tire was snug. I can imagine it will take a bit of jerking to get it back out, we will see.

Last edited:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are places you can insert the handle of the factory lug wrench between the tire and frame rail and help pry the tire out. Ever after 5k miles, it was still difficult getting the "used" spare up in there.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, one other detail that conflicted me, the torque setting. I purchased and installed at discount tire as this size of tire was apparently out of stock from other places.

I asked about the torque setting as the manual says 98 lb.ft (133 Nm).

Was told discount tire must go by the current Land Rover spec from their system which was 105 lb.ft.

So the lugs are presumably set to 105 lb.ft, shall I loosen and re-tighten to 98 lb.ft like the manual says or is this something folks have dealt with and 105 lb.ft is ok?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 5 Toyo at3 255/60/19 tires installed this am. Happy with the look and feel in a brief drive.

As noted here, it was a bit of a pill getting the spare in. Needed an extra set of hands to slowly ***** (lol typo’d winch and got shamed) the tire up while I was underneath finagling the wheel. Also had to remove the oem toe hitch, then replaced it after the tire was snug. I can imagine it will take a bit of jerking to get it back out, we will see.

That will probably improve with wear after you rotate through all of them. I can get a 265/65/18 up there (when deflated).

Oh, one other detail that conflicted me, the torque setting. I purchased and installed at discount tire as this size of tire was apparently out of stock from other places.

Was told discount tire must go by the current Land Rover spec from their system which was 105 lb.ft.

So the lugs are presumably set to 105 lb.ft, shall I loosen and re-tighten to 98 lb.ft like the manual says or is this something folks have dealt with and 105 lb.ft is ok?

Realistically, 5-7% isn't going to be a life-changer and there's going to be 2-4% inaccuracy inherent in the torque wrench anyway (probably more since its likely 5 years old and has been dropped multiple times).

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've always done 105 ft lbs. 19" OEM wheels.

Also my spare goes up and down without a hassle now after some wear.

Motodog1971

Reaction score
For those that may happen on this page looking at the 255/55/19 stock size Toyo At3 can report long term this tire is excellent. I live in the Reno/Tahoe area so do a lot of snow and twisty driving. I have 37K miles and still have ~4/32 left. For comparison I had a Pirelli Scorpion All Season that I didn't even get 20K miles out of I eat tires. What I like about the Toyo beyond longevity is i) Has a 65K mile warranty ii) XL not E rated so not a heavy tire gets good gas mileage, iii) very quiet for an AT and doesn't get louder as ages iv) the rubber is somewhat soft compared to other tires run on other SUVs like the Ridge Grappler which is like a rock in cold conditions v) great snow handling and vi) the front outer edge although wearing is considerably better than expected. I'd go stock size unless lifting as these look a bit beefier than a normal all season tire.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t get 20k?? Really? We must have different tires. I have the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus, and at 10k, they show very little wear, although being in Canada, there is no way I’m using them in the winter. Winter tires only.

I do concur that the spec’d size is appropriate. But for those who want to mess around for looks (not performance) I wouldn’t take a chance and consult this reference first:

I no longer play the pro rated warranty game…. it buys customer loyalty that inhibits me the pleasure of trying new products.

fwiw.
cheers!

Last edited:

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost 40k on my 225/60-19 AT3s, they have about 15-20k left but they’ve started to hydroplane badly.

I’m moving to 18s for the best set of tires, so no more Toyos for me. They’ve been great otherwise.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 40k on mine as well and they’re still looking pretty good. I’ll also say that they aren’t the greatest in standing water anymore.

Could probably easily get another 20k out of them since it doesn’t snow where I live.

Motodog1971

Reaction score
I'm up for some new Toyo AT3s again soon. For those running the 255/60/19 can you post a pic? Do you regret going to the bigger size? To me the stock 255/55/19 looked appropriate when new but get smaller obviously as the tread wears down lol :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72