Trailer Hitch Lock Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ygrowup

Reaction score
I just picked up an 06 LR3 HSE. Seems to be a lot nicer than my old 97 Disco. It came with the trailer hitch but not the key for it. The hitch is not on the truck. Can I take it to a lock smith? Any suggestions.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the exact same situation.. the only solution that my stealership can come up with is that they will order a new handle for the hitch.. and then, punch out the old handle. No way to replace the key.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stealership said $26 Cdn.. so he's doubting that it will have a new cylinder/key included.. we'll see. I plan to go see them in the new year.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an 06 LR3 HSE. Seems to be a lot nicer than my old 97 Disco. It came with the trailer hitch but not the key for it. The hitch is not on the truck. Can I take it to a lock smith? Any suggestions.

I hope you kept your 97 for when the lr3 does it's weird stuff so you'll have your own loaner car at the ready ;)

That sucks the previous people couldn't keep up with the 2 keys, it sucks more you didn't know this until after the dealer (?) sold you the thing!

Tell them they will pay for the parts seeing as you were led to assume you could actually USE your hitch. This is not an "accessory", this is part of the car and you should not have to pay for the parts at all. It's no different than selling you a car with the jack, or a spare tire.

ygrowup

Reaction score
No, the place I bought it was honest. My LR3 did not come with one, but when I told him I was looking for one, he offer me the keyless one for free.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well then, that's very different but still annoying they didn't just solve the rest of the problem for you by walking you through getting a new one. You shouldn't have had to come to a forum to get the info.

What are you going to tow - the bike in your photo?

ygrowup

Reaction score
Too many toys to tow, so I need a hitch. Two boats, street bike (one in pic), three dirt bikes and a snowmobile.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I didn't have the keys for my hitch lock either, so I actually tried the key from a new hitch lock and it worked. The dealer said it shouldn't work, but in my case, for some reason, the new key fit just fine. Perhaps find someone who has a key and see if it works for you?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many toys to tow, so I need a hitch. Two boats, street bike (one in pic), three dirt bikes and a snowmobile.

It's nice seeing a rare red lr3 too! My next land rover will be white just like my oldest one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM