Trailering a LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

three5ives

Reaction score
I'm looking to trailer my LR3 behind my motorhome on a 20ft featherlite with uprated axles for the weight. My question are:

1. What suspension setting would you go with? I'm thinking access/lowest for lower CG.

2. If I use the access setting will that create any problems since there suspension will be completely dumped.

3. Anyone know what the factory tow slots on the frame look like? I've notice some large-ish oval holes that look like 'T' hooks might fit.

Would be interested in any other tips from those that have trailered and LR3.

Thanks,

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the EAS has a "Transportation Mode" that may be useful here.

three5ives

Reaction score
yeah, I originally called the service guy at the local dealer and asked should I use 'Transport Mode'. His response 'what's that?' I then called a very reputable local indy - same question, same response.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez...do you have an IIDTool? You can probably use that to get it into Transport Mode. You can ask their Support folks for help, too.

three5ives

Reaction score
Don't own a IIDTool. Was hoping that trailering the LR3 safety didn't require Transport Mode (and the tool to engage and disengage it). I've never seen what it is exactly that Transport Mode does - that makes it worth the extra investment.

Transport Mode aside, does anyone see a problem with trailering the truck with the suspension at Access height?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Transport Mode puts the EAS to sleep, but I'm not sure. How far are you trailering it?

three5ives

Reaction score
Several hundred miles. Plan for it to be my primary vehicle to trailer behind my motorhome. Is putting the EAS to sleep a requirement?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know...I'm just trying to sum up your risk. A few hundred miles seems significant to me. I can only tell you what I'd do if it were me:

I'd buy an IIDTool and put it in Transport Mode or whatever GAP has in the tool as an equivalent (maybe access height + Build Mode) because not only does it alleviate concerns for the trailering aspect of your trip, but the IIDTool is invaluable and you'll want it with you anyway.

three5ives

Reaction score
I did talk to another tech at a different dealer and he said this concern comes up from time to time and that as long as it was being transported on flat-bed trailer and the wheels aren't turning then access mode is fine. I don't know enough about how EAS and the BCM interact to know if this makes sense.

However, I do agree that buying the tool to toggle Transport Mode is the best way, was just hoping that it wasn't mandatory.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point is not that you should buy the tool to toggle Transport Mode. It's that you should buy the tool because it's AWESOME and it will pay for itself over and over again if you are going to keep the LR3 for 3+ years.

...a side benefit is that you can put it in Transport Mode and drive down the highway in your RV with peace of mind!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635