Transmission, differentials failure???? help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Friday I did few difficult rated trails. It was nice to have all the skid plates in place.
At the end of the day I noticed some noise/ vibration when transmission was in drive and I was stopped( I was in a low range and on a steep incline). Once I started moving the vibration/ noise was gone. It was happening at the very end of the trail and regularly.
I thought maybe it was my transfer case skid plate vibrating/ frame working so I did not think much about it.
The next day I started a truck, put transmission in drive and the same noise / vibration was present. ( transfer case in Hi this time) When I put it in Neutral then vibration /noise is gone. Put it back in Drive and it is back. ( my foot on the brake pedal all the tine)
When starting to drive I can hear for a second metallic noise like skid plates rubbing against metal. ( ????). It is not present in Reverse. I do not think it is a skid plate. Transmission???
I decided to drive to a gas station and had 4x4 info screen displayed during this drive. I always do this when off roading but this was the first time I had it on on the street.
I noticed that when accelerating from the stop my central diff. locks partially for a second or so. I started observing the diff. icons on my drive and noticed both differentials locking partially when accerationg even when starting slowly. Both icons would turn immediately green when I eased on gas or by themselves after a second or two. I thought the differential would not lock when driving on the street in dry conditions.
*** is going on?
I checked for any damage and my rear diff is spotless. My transfer case skid plate got some scratches during the last off roading but it is minor. All skid plates are firmly bolted. I do not have a mechanical knowledge so I am puzzled. I am not getting any messages on the display.
Once I keep driving everything seems to be fine till I stop, then it is happening again.
It looks like a trip to the dealer. This is 2013 lr4 with HD package. About 18,000 miles .It is driven daily in a light city traffic and regularly taken off road where it gets some good exercise . The truck has some extra weight ( BFG 265/65/18 tires, full set of Tactical Rovers skid plates, Asfir sump guard).
Any ideas what is going on here.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely normal for your Diffs to lock (full or partial) on normal street accelleration, then turn green once cruising or off throttle.

My bet is you simply have something loose underneath. I had a band clamp on my exhaust work its way loose on me. It would vibrate with the truck in D with my foot on the brake, but if I put it in neutral it would go away. It was all simply down to the different vibration at different RPMs. Once tightened back up, it went away completely.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ,
Just returned back home and noticed that the noise / vibration intensity when starting in Drive from a stop depends how hard / soft I push on accelerator.
I hope it is something simple but I am still surprised my rear diff would lock when I am pulling into my garage from a driveway. (a flat concrete surface) I hope the noise is not related to the diff. but I heard the noise then the rear diff icon turned red ( or orange, whatever color it is)
Anyway the truck is under factory warranty so it is going to the service dept. tomorrow morning. I need it to be fixed for 2 reasons.
#1 it is my wife's car
#2 in few weeks I need it again for some moderate / difficult trail in Sedona
I will update once I find out what it was.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely normal for your Diffs to lock (full or partial) on normal street accelleration, then turn green once cruising or off throttle.

My bet is you simply have something loose underneath. I had a band clamp on my exhaust work its way loose on me. It would vibrate with the truck in D with my foot on the brake, but if I put it in neutral it would go away. It was all simply down to the different vibration at different RPMs. Once tightened back up, it went away completely.

You were right. Obviously on my last trail I hit the transfer case skid plate ( it did not feel like a big impact).
Anyway it was enough to come in contact with part of an exhaust. All is fine now.
As for my central and/ or rear differentials icons to show partial locking on the street when acceleration the dealer did not have an answer.
It does not happen all the time. You said it is normal so let it be.
could someone observe their lockers during street driving and let me know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99