Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salamun

Reaction score
I have 2002 Freelander. Have searched high and low for Texaco N402 Fluid, nobody stocks it. LRN402 is about $10 per quart. Also do not know how to check the transmission fluid level.. Any ideas. Would like to purchase tech manual as well.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will move this to the Freelander Tech section for better response time.

CUL8R

Reaction score
Just a side note, I want to check the level of my ATF. Where is the dipstick located in the engine bay? I looked in the owner’s manual but nothing is labeled as such. (I have a 2005 SE3 2.5 V6 with a 5 Speed Automatic)

Shermie

Reaction score
Not user friendly

I had and sold for parts a 2002 SE V6 U.S. Freelander. The transmission fluid system does not have a dipstick, at least the one's equipped with the infamous Jatco 5 speed transmission box. The only way to check the LRN-404 Automatic Transmission fluid level is from under the car. There's a hex bolt that serves as a bleed-over cap. One has to put the car into a warm mode (leave running about 10 minutes). One removes the screw and is the car has excess fluid, this drain's out. But if you see no fluid coming out, then the transmission needs to be topped-up. The temperature of the fluid needs to be between 35º and 45º C in order for the level to be correct.

There is a small rubber hole plug that is located in front and below the battery area. I used to make a paper funnel as the filler hole is very small.

Add LRN402 until it starts to come out of the drain plug under the transmission under the car. Once the fluid stops leaking out, the transmission is full. Put the plug back and screw the drain plug back.

There is a very exact procedure in the Land Rover service manuel RAVE CD. You can find people who sell this CD on Ebay...

Good luck... and BTW.... I would sell the Freelander before the Engine or Transmission fail. These are too expensive to repair and the car (as did mine) was scrapped for parts despite the fact that the car did not look a day over 1 year old.

CUL8R

Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question in detail.
I'll look that CD up on eBay and get it.
Luckily my original warranty does not run out until next year in August.
After that, my Certified Pre-Owned warranty from Land Rover kicks in
until August of 2011. Hopefully I have another vehicle in my garage by then
but I'll definitely miss my 2005 SE3.
Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72