Transmission Head Snap/****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

AZSTALZ

As many of you LR3 (V8) owners have probably experienced the lovely "transmission ****" from a slow roll, I am starting a thread to see if anything is, or is going to be done about it. I just had an 06 V6 as a loaner last week (for a fiber optic cable replacement) and noticed that the problem doesn't exist in the V6 model. It is almost embarrassingly noticeable in my 05 HSE as my and my passengers heads **** from a 1 MPH roll from a "stop". The "Learning-Transmission" obviously hasn't learned that it shouldn't shift down into First Gear from Second Gear while I am pulling away from a stop.
It so bad sometimes, I can hear every joint in the plastic interior shudder. That can't be good for the vehicle over time and I'm on my third "Software-Update" and still no change.... --AZSTALZ

L

LVLR

I am on my first "software-update" for this and no improvement (05 SE). I think the learning element of the "Learning Transmission" stops at my right foot.

L

lr3socal

I went to the dealership and they said "we could not recreate the problem." It happens at least once a day. I feel like I am laying down rubber at stop signs. Don't know what to do.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know of I'm learning to drive differently or my trans has learned, but I haven't experienced it in over a month now.

J

jcegold

Well we have 2100 miles in less than a month on our new 06 HSE. The transmission seem to shift just fine. Do like the rig except for their excuse of nav system, poor one at that.

M

Matt_Grim2

Got 1200 miles on my 2006 LR3 HSE Tonga Green, I haven't had the problem that you guys are talking about, i hope you all figure it out and good luck, ITS A FREAKIN SWEET RIDE!!!

H

Houm_WA

Hey, lr3socal....send those guys at your dealer up to Seattle...there is a particular hill in my neighborhood where that problem can be created nearly every time.

Anyhow, I was reading Car & Driver (I think...or Motor Trend...one of those) and there was an article about the Porshe Cayane...apparently their "manu-matic" transmission does the same thing.

Conclusion: it may just be an attribute common to these kinds of trannys (man-u-matic, tip-tronic, comman-shift, etc) and maybe we all just need to start coming to complete stops !

T

tpjeeper

Our '05 SE7 V8 does the same thing. The other day in the driveway the wife nearly bumped into the tow hitch on my truck due to the "forward ****". We had a loaner '06 last week and I did not notice that it did this. I am going to monitor this issue and thread to keep an eye on things.........

A

AZSTALZ

It seems to me that the V6 is geared a bit differently and therefore not prone to the problem. All Land Rover has to do is re-program the Tranny to NOT shift into first gear unless the vehicle has come to a COMPLETE stop. Even if the wheels are rolling 1 cm per hour, don't shift the tranny into first gear. There is AMPLE torque in the V8 to start from a slow-roll "stop". Plus, when the vehicle is accelerating from that 1 cm per hour roll, don't DOWNSHIFT into first gear. That is my observation.
--AZSTALZ

D

dronedog

i have only had it once on mine. it was on a down hill stop and i did not completely stop before i hit the gas. it did **** pretty good. but since then it hasn't done it and on the same hill, been on it twice since then, it did not do it. maybe i stopped completely the last two times. (i should anyway...hey if this was a Volvo, they would call it a safety feature) i have the command shift thing on the BMW and it has never done it that i could tell.
the dog

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo