Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MST

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I just bought a 2012 HSE Lux w/ 45,000 miles and noticed in the morning on cold start and take off, the transmission holds low gear and when I give it some gas, it jumps into the next gear. Very rough and does not sound good but after about 5- 10 min. all is well and back to smooth. My Lr3's never did this and just wondering if this is normal for LR4's? I am taking it in to the dealer this week to have it checked just in case.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right when the engine and ambient temperature are both cold. It'll hold gears longer at first but shifts will eventually "normalize" as the engine and tranny reach operating temperature. I live on a hill and need to drive up a fairly steep incline for about 1 1/4 mile in the morning to get to work, so I notice that behavior more than most I guess. On cold mornings (relatively speaking... I live in Southern California) the engine revs fairly high in 1st or 2nd gear before upshifting quite abruptly to 3rd. If I let the engine warm up for a couple of minutes before taking off though, that doesn't happen.

MST

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Umberto. I will let it warm up a bit longer in the morning and see if that helps. If I find something different at the dealer, I will post what they find. Fortunately I bought it with CPO so i am not worried.:smile:

MST

Reaction score
Turned out it was a leaking trans cooler line. Transmission was 2 qts low and line had to be replaced.

I wonder how the dealer didn't see that when they did the inspection before putting it up for sale. Maybe they didn't inspect since it was under warranty?

Oh well, hope this helps anyone with the same situation.

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MST>>> I wonder how the dealer didn't see that when they did the inspection before putting it up for sale.

I am a Land Rover admirer but I don't really have too much faith in their service department(s) based on my ownership experience. That is unfortunate. If Land Rover could somehow address this I think the brand would do even better than it is currently doing.

Glad to hear they figured out the problem and got you going again.
Good thing you've got the CPO warranty - that is a must have.
Happy rover-ing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM