Transmission replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty good description of a tranny failure.

I think you understand your LR3 very well. You tried all the tricks, (procedures), that presume routine computer problems, (I expect your radio still works OK), and the fact that the P function still works infers that at least some signal is getting from the shift lever to the computer and then to the electronic valve box, (Mechatronic), in the tranny.

About the only other easy computer idea I have is to unplug and then plug back in the three connectors that connect into the Bosch Integrated Transfer Case, (the tranny computer), on the off chance that a connector is just corroded. This computer is bolted to the firewall and hidden under a black plastic cover behind the starting battery. There are a couple of corrugated rubber cable boots feeding into it. None of it is waterproof - it only looks waterproof and that is why car wash water can **** the electronics - runs in via the connector plugs from the holes in the corrugated rubber that feed the conductors in - cars never get dirty in England because it rains all the time.

Water can get into the electronics and shut you down, but it is starting to sound like maybe something bad happened to the mechanicals inside the tranny.

My concern is that if you order a tranny and that is not the solution, then the fun really has stopped.

For my tranny oil change, I was able to find a local tranny shop that was the primary BMW and Mercedes tranny fit it shop in the City. Land Rover does not sell enough vehicles for any independent to have experience, however BMW and Mercedes really help us there, particularly BMW. I might also note that after the the pan/filter change out, the shop bosses were not quite as enthusiastic as they were before they started. Fortunately a couple of the shop workers were from Africa and they were already in love with Land Rovers, so at least the shop floor people remained enthusiastic.

The BMW owners really know what expensive is, and have a more than normal amount of experience with repairs of all kinds, trannys included. Also the BMW dealers for the most part, only know how to replace transmissions - factory rebuilt is the only solution they know about - hence there should be at least one local independent transmission rebuilder who boasts himself to be the Rebuilder to the Beamers and can spell ZF.

Also with Ford licence building these six speeds under the 6R60 model name, the trannys are not exactly unknown any longer. They are more complicated than a 3 speed HydraMatic but there is starting to be a body of knowledge around. What is still a black art however, is the electronics, and that remains the challenge.

monitro

Reaction score
Just got an update from the dealer. I asked for the condition of the tranny fluid and the Technician said it looked and smelled normal, no metal chunks, etc. At least I know I didn't cook it towing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4