Tune Up questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjqsmom

Reaction score
Hi I am having the mechanic next door do a tune up on my 2001 Disco II with 94000 miles. What should I have him do? Just had the oil changed and the serpentene belt. New air filer in January with the last oil change 3000 miles ago. I was thinking it needs to have the transmission fluid changed. Should I just do a change or a flush? He is going to change the power stering/ACE fluid. I bought 3 quarts the people at british pacific said thats how much it takes. Should I have him change the antifreeze? Also the spark plugs at british pacific are $11 a piece for I believe double plantium is that what I should use? I am going to buy new spark plug wires but have been told that a hose needs to be cut to install the new wires. Does anyone know what hose that is so I can buy it before hand? Have I missed anything that should be done. Thanks in advance. Celeste

2001 Disco II
94000 miles
California (for now)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheap $1 champion plugs work best... Plug wires, this is the first I have heard of a hose that will need to be cut, but it will be a royal pain to change them unless he removes the intake plenum.

If you don't know the last time the radiator hoses where changed, I would have him change them as well. You can't just buy them at any autoparts store, so keep the old ones as spares.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to change the transfer case oil and the diff oil as well. Put some nice synthetic in there and you might even gain 1 or 2 miles per gallon on gas.

Transmission fluid wouldn't be a bad idea, just make sure he knows there is no easy way to fill it. And there is no dip stick to check the level.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the Champion plugs. Those $11 plugs are an absolute waste, since Champion Copper plugs are known to work best - gapped around .040 0r .042 in my opinion.

From what I know, there's no hose that needs to be cut for plug wire replacement. Wire replacement can be a real pain though. I personally left the intake on and just laid on top of the engine over a blaket, and took my sweet time. It's a 2 Guinness job.

X2 on the Diff and T-case fluid change. Syn all the way. The trans fluid is a good idea too, along with a filter change since I'm going to guess your filter hasn't been changed since the 36k mile service at the dealer. Make sure the person doing the work is familiar with proper fluid fill proceedures. (shifting through the gears, etc) I wouldn't do a flush. Just fluid change.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635