Two Quick Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, Is just me or is it the general consensus that a "C" load range tire is no good for our trucks? If so why?

Second, I just got a Viair 440p compressor and put it in the second battery compartment under the hood and there is this thing residing next to were the compressor is now and I'm not sure what it does/is. Its metal with about four tubes coming off the top that head back past the break fluid reservoir and about two that come from the from and come back towards were the previous four went. (I know pictures would help but my camera is not with me now)

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi CP-

Curious as to how you hard-mounted a portable compressor? I was thinking of running a small compressor as well, but havent even started searching yet.

Did you fab a mount so that the compressor is hardmounted, but somehow 'portable' if you want to remove it?

How did you mount up the compressor?

Thanks.

-jpl

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dumb question . . . but where IS the second battery compartment?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dumb question . . . but where IS the second battery compartment?

Wow, from a "rover guru", are you serious?! Look under your hood and take a minute to learn what's there. The 2nd battery space is better suited to having a dual battery system and the compressors are small enough they can go just about anywhere, including on the passenger side underneath mirroring where the stock suspension compressor sits in a mount under the sill near the rear wheel.

Another good space is where the stock jack is located.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry . . . only a guru by the number of questions I ask - not actual knowledge . . . so do you have a compressor? If so, where?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry . . . only a guru by the number of questions I ask - not actual knowledge . . . so do you have a compressor? If so, where?

Don't take it the wrong way ;) I was just poking you.

I have the arb compressor mounted similarly to where the stock suspension compressor mounts but on the passenger side (in the US. I presume it's the opposite of UK) Under the sill near the rear wheel is a mounting spot and simple cover. We did this of course before mounting the sliders which in turn also protect it / make it very hard to get to if there were ever an issue or desire to get to it. Additionally, while this location is nice for not using internal space, it seems to me that if you go into deep water often, then it's getting wet more often than ideal, but then the stock one is down there too ... so, ??

I have thought the ideal location would be either inside where the stock jack lives or under the hood, both of which would protect it from the elements however it would be load in the cabin walls. I think it would be nice to plan ahead a quick fitting to use it for a backup to the stock unit /air suspension but I am sure the lr3 will fail in some other way before the compressor ;)

My compressor runs a line to the left rear access panel where I have a gauge and outlet you can see in my photos links. This and other things run off the 2nd battery too.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, Is just me or is it the general consensus that a "C" load range tire is no good for our trucks? If so why?

If you don't know, the load range is pretty important and like many other safety ratings in life, it's not a good idea to max out that rating just because it says you can. The lr3 is meant to go off-road and in doing so may very well end up with most of it's weight on one side or even on one tire.

Ask yourself, what is peace of mind, and removing as many weak links as possible worth to you? To me, it would be downright idiotic to use any C tire and I actually will not use D either because my lr3 when fully loaded is 8000 lbs and I don't want to be anywhere near the limitations of the tire whether it's rolling onto a curb or on a steep hillside.

That's the reason I only run the 10ply tread x 3ply sidewall E range BFG AllTerrian ta/ko on my rovers, period. Why go inferior? In fact I just put these on my 96 discovery that my mom has now, a nice new set of 245/75x16 with white letters out - never done white letters out before but it looks cool on the white disco.

Get Discount Tire to "safety sipe" them and their traction in snow is even better.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi CP-

Curious as to how you hard-mounted a portable compressor? I was thinking of running a small compressor as well, but havent even started searching yet.

Did you fab a mount so that the compressor is hardmounted, but somehow 'portable' if you want to remove it?

How did you mount up the compressor?

Thanks.

-jpl

This is where I got the Idea: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=34

I decided to merely store it in there rather than hard mount it, just so it could be portable if necessary.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arb looks good. Who makes that rear bumper? Looks stout.

Isn't that bumper widely known by now?! It's the Kaymar brand and I've had it for two years already. The powdercoat could be better but it's just as good as the sucky paint on the sliders made by OffRoving.

-It sort of ****** me off that these builders can't invest in doing a proper protection of the parts they want to charge so much for. Wouldn't Rino? or some similar treatment be a lot better? At least something that doesn't just de-laminate and peel off in SHEETS at a time !

I'll pull all of my steel off at some point and have them done right, except the ARB, it's holding up superbly and the Kaymar finish is really only bad on the jerry can holder. The bumper is fine. The best part is the aluminum tread plate which I wire brushed and painted myself with 5 layers of high temp crackle type grill paint ;)

http://www.jwestproductions.com/2007LR3/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo