Urgent Help Needed! =[

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

TehSparrow

I drive a UK LR Defender 90 SWB, and it has a bad oil leak that i think has turned terminal.

Driving to school today, I noticed that the exhaust fumes were very black and the cab was smelling of burning oil. When i stopped at school, there were large deposits of oil on the back of the landy from the exhaust, and when i opened the bonnet i nearly cried. =[

The entire left side of my engine was covered in oil, pouring out over everything, and going everywhere. I let the engine cool, & checked the dipstick, but the whole contents of the sump was sitting in the car park.

I managed to fill the car up with some oil and limp home, but now I am stuck without a car to use! When looking at the engine running while at home, i noticed that there was alot of pressure being released from the dipstick, and when i took the breather pipe off, my beautifal Landy resembled a steam train.

I've read through some books, and I wondered could this be the head gasket gone? there is a shed load of pressure building up in the engine, which is forcing out all this oil (seriously, every bolt hole, seal or gap has oil leaking from it!) and now leaving via the exhaust system.

If not the head gasket, can you suggest any other reason for my baby to suddenly go bad? Also, can anybody give me any indications / websites that detail how to fix a head gasket (or the actual problem) as i will be doing the work myself if possible.

Will i need to remove the engine? I have heard that it can be possible to "top & tail" an engine & remove individual pistons to replace the broken component, but i really would like some advice from a few Landy Vets. first!

Thankyou for your help!

Sparrow

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Other than a blown head gasket or cracked head, the only other than I can think of is a clogged breather, but you said you pulled it then it was like a steam engine... How about if you pull it before you start it?

T

TehSparrow

Could have a look, but i cleaned it out in a chemical bath only a few months back. Would a blocked breather cause pressure from the dipstick?

Thanks for your help though!

Sparrow

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible, but it does sound worse than just a breather. I hope for your sake it is not.

T

TehSparrow

That sounds slightly ominous... =S

Can you offer any advice as to how to go about changing a gasket / replacing a piston?

Or is this kind of task more suited to a mechanic? I have very good practical skills (im training to be an engineer) but if i undertake this, will my car be off the road for months rather than weeks?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
the 90 Defender should have a carb not EFI, so that is a plus. It really isn't hard to change the head gasket, but if it has overheated and warped the head or cracked something, then you would be looking at a while to get things straightned out.

If it were me I Would take it to someone you trust or to RPI if they are close and have them sort it out.

I Would hate to give you the docs and details to change the head gasket only to find out that you needed something else as well.

In order to remove the head, you also have to remove the intake, so if it were me I would also check the timing chain and gears with possible replacement. While in there for the timing I would also check the cam and the lifters and tappets.... the list goes on to do the job correctly.

T

TehSparrow

Thanks for the advice =]

We're going to get the guy that built the engine take a look, then access what needs to be done.

Last question:

To work on the engine, is it easier to take it out or just work on it in situe?

*fingers crossed* Hopefully i'll be back motoring in a month =S

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That really depends on what is needed to be done... if just head work or gaskets for the heads... even cam, timing chain can all be done in the vehicle...

If you have to do some piston work or bottom end work it is best to remove the engine or at least easier to do everything you need to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90