Urgent Help required! TD5 cuts out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Charles

I recently bought a new Defender 90 TD5 and apart from a few small issues which have been quickly fixed the vehicle has been great and it now has 5000 km on the clock. No real off road use or hard driving. The engine decided to simply cut out while I was doing 80 kph the other day which scared the **** out of me! The drive train locks up, the engine, ABS and ETC lights come on but the engine seems to fire up when I hastily stab the clutch. I should add that acceleration was normal, load was normal, it wasn't raining and it has happened 3 times in all. My local dealer took a whole day to work out that it might be the computer, which thought I was a thief and decided to shut the car down so they replaced that. Needless to say, it happened again and tonight my pride and joy is in bits at the dealers! Can anyone help?

D

disco1

Sorry to hear about you frustration. The symptoms you describe, could well be either your coil or the ignition amplifier module playing up. Check that the lead going to the coil is secure, also the wires going to the ignition amplifier module. If this does not solve the problem, I'd start to suspect the coil. They do start to break down when they over heat.

K

khlandy

TD5 engine cuts out

Dear Charles,

I have just had a similarly scary experiece in my 2002 Defender on the motorway. Did you get this issue resolved?

Charles said:
I recently bought a new Defender 90 TD5 and apart from a few small issues which have been quickly fixed the vehicle has been great and it now has 5000 km on the clock. No real off road use or hard driving. The engine decided to simply cut out while I was doing 80 kph the other day which scared the **** out of me! The drive train locks up, the engine, ABS and ETC lights come on but the engine seems to fire up when I hastily stab the clutch. I should add that acceleration was normal, load was normal, it wasn't raining and it has happened 3 times in all. My local dealer took a whole day to work out that it might be the computer, which thought I was a thief and decided to shut the car down so they replaced that. Needless to say, it happened again and tonight my pride and joy is in bits at the dealers! Can anyone help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM