Values UP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, wholesale auction values of used 2006 and 2007 have not been so high in a while. There are 47 LR3 to be sold here at Manheim's location near me in Detroit on July 2, and the recent historical sales prices strike me as pretty high. Maybe this is because gas prices are still low (for now), and the former glut of 2 year old off-lease 2006 seems to have cleared up with 3 y.o. cars now hitting. 2007 models may approach 30000 with 2006 in low to mid 20s with HSE still in solid mid 20s. These are the prices that dealers pay to buy off lease cars from the factory sale, then they mark 'em up 10-15% and retail to you.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed this too. I try not to look since its usually bad, but I bought at a very good time. Thanks for your help with the listings (sorry the timing didnt work). Cheers.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a data point...

I've been looking for either an 07 or 08 HSE (preferably 08) in my area via the usual suspects... autotrader, cars.com, yahoo classifieds.

I've been searching on and off for about 6 weeks now.

And there have been the same 30 HSE's listed in my 200 mile radius search area, with hardly any change.

There have been 2 trucks sold as far as I can tell... One of them I called and put a deposit on, and the local dealer sold it to someone else. And the other truck I called to put a deposit on, and someone already had placed a deposit on it.

I cant be sure what is sold that is never listed, but I also check my local dealers pretty frequently. And I dont see any HSE's moving. At least from what I can tell.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and to be clear... I'd love to buy an LR3, even with the LR4's coming out soon.

From what I gathered, the 3 is a great truck and I look forward to finding one.

We dont put many miles on our vehicles (<6k /yr), so I plan on keeping it for a bit. I'm still holding out for one configured pretty close to how I want it.

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for a used LR3 HSE's were next to impossible to find. Depending on how long you want to hold out, you might want to think about whether a nicely-optioned SE would do it for you.

I'm with you on the LR3 "vs" LR4 - the new engine would be nice, but that grill is fugly. I'd have to hide it behind a bull bar pronto. My Dad is the opposite though - he could care less about the grill, he wants the extra towing capacity.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi MustBeAudi-

Do you have access to how the auctions went? I'd be most interested in the HSE's if you could tell.

I'm still searching for one locally.

Thanks.

-jpl

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHOLESALE range is vast, but prices are UP. Lower miles mean more moolah, but even ones with over 50000 miles (no warranty) still fetched $19-22! Detroit's most recent three were very low miles cars, got $26-$28! Others fell in the middle of this range, 23XXX to 26.
You should have bought mine; I can't even replace it for the price I received (no complaints, it's in a nearby happy home with an allroad owner - so perfect!). With 35-40000 miles, they're bringing more than $24000 --> and
THESE ARE DEALERS BUYING WHOLESALE DIRECT FROM FORD CREDIT, before they add 15-20% profit margin and set a retail asking price! I have not looked at cars.com for retails lately.
Used car market is artificially boosted with franchised dealers forced into used car lots by termination letters, lack of leasing pushing buyers to used cars and financing issues complicating things. It will settle back down some time ... it always does, and these will tank again when gas hits $4.50.
Gas and then the veritable tsunami of off-lease 06s that hit in 08 (LR made a huge 06 lease push late into that model year, I failed to jump when I should have) artificially and heavily depressed LR3 values, particularly for SEs, at that time. We all should have pulled our money from Wall St. before the world came unglued and stocked up on LR3s!!

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost tempting to sell sometimes (occasionally wish I had spec'd an HSE). For what it's worth, ours was bought at auction for $16.5k + fees in the early fall of '08 - a 2006 V8SE7 with most options and 34k miles on the odo. By the time it reached me in Canada it was close to 25k CAD taxes in (including dealer profit / roughly 20.5K USD at the time). Now 8 months later, I can't find one in Canada right now anywhere close to this price that is still under warranty (even the V6 5 seaters!)...

Last edited:

AGConrad

Reaction score
Paid 24k even for mine (SE7 V8 with Cold climate, Handsfree, xenon, 45k on odo) in April from a trusted import only dealer in northern Indiana. He has two more on his lot right now, both are 5 seaters with less options and same miles and are marked at $26k!

I think I got in right before things got crazy!

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the scoop MBA...

You're truck was probably for sale before I started my search.

We're looking for an HSE, so it's not to hard to keep track of whats listed in my area.

From my 7/1 post in this thread, there are the same 30 trucks listed +1 additional.

Not much action...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4