very poor gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Mark

I drove 325 miles the other week and before I left home I put in the valvoline fuel injector cleaner. I got 20 mpg on the hiway at 70-80 mph.

On the trip back home, I put more fuel injector cleaner in the tank and got 18 mpg, but was driving in the wind and the PS system was running the wrong fluid (my fault, see mea culpea in other post)

Drove yesterday 180 miles and 20 mpg.

Local, I am getting 14-16 mpg.

R

roverX

Dang!

I am averaging 13 miles per gallon and I pay $2.49 per gallon here in California. I didn't think anything of it, just figured it was normal for Discos! Can someone explain how to appropriately clean the MAF and tell me where it is exactly? Dang, I think I might need to replace my O2 sensors as well.
96 D1 SE7 aka The Black Widow
130,000 miles

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Cleaning the MAF is fairly easy, but a can of electrical contact cleaner. Remove MAF, it is the thing in the intake witht the wire attached to it on the drivers side engine compartement.... no not the box thing with the horn, that is the air cleaner. Yes I know the aire cleaner box has a wire going to it too, that is the air temp sensor... ok you found it great, remove the wire holding the plug on (don't lose it), then remove the plug. Now you can remove the front and rear clamps holding the MAF on.

Now remove the MAF, don't worry it can only go back on one way, notice one side is larger than the other. From the front, the side with the screen. Take the contact cleaner and spray inside very liberally, mainly the center section with the small hole in it.

Good, now let is sit for about 30 minutes or so to dry out... then put everything back the way it was. Screen to the front, and don't forget the plug and clip....

While your in there, don't forget to check your air cleaner, if it is dirty, you might as well change it to.

O2 sensors will be another story all together.... but a lot more fun and well, you will see. Unless you pay some nut to do it...

R

roverX

Thanks

Thanks Joey. I appreciate it. Yup, I will do the O2 sensors myself. Did the lift myself and the exhaust. "How hard can the O2 sensors be?" he says as they put the straight jacket on him.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets put it this way, on my '97 it took 2 people (first time I ever did in a rover), It could be a one man job, but having someone to laugh at you when you yell my hand is going numb is priceless.... The sensors are easy to get to, rear ones are sensor - plug right next to each other.... front 2 are sensor.... plug is behind the engine (top part) right by the firewall.... hope you have small hands, arms or a freind that does.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM