very poor gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same type of issue but I am also getting a P1179 code for air intake module or whatever you call it (other than a $400 part). I clear the fault code and it won't come on again for a week or so.

Would O2 sensor replacement help or should I start thinking about a new mass air sensor.

97 Disco, 66000 miles.

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Try cleaning the MAF with some electical contact cleaner (remove from vehicle and clean the inside very well, taking time to clean the small part in the center,let it completely dry, then reinstall) I would also clean and use electrical contact grease in the connector.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try some electrical parts cleaner. I had it apart last week but I was afraid to use it because I didn't know if it would mess something else up.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Shouls I also replace the O2 sensors? I'm at 66000 miles and I doubt the previous owner did anything maintenance-wise.

Thanks,

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can, I didn't replace mine till around 95k. It depends on fuel economy, type fuel you run, and if cleaning the MAF helps.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-13 MPG. Use Premium fuel. 2 weeks ago new magnacor wires and Bosch Platinum 4 plugs. New air filter, shocks, tires inflated to the proper pressure, synthetic oil in my de-gunked crankcase. Never had any check engine code come up other than P1179. My baby runs fine just lousy mpg. I'll live with it if everything checks out ok.

I am going out to the garage to clean the MAF now and I'll put some contact grease in the plug.

I'll check mpg over thenext week.

Thanks for the tips,

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say proper tire pressure, are you going off of the LR tire pressure on the door, or something more usefull (I am sure I will get yelled at for that comment). When is the last time you changed the Diff oil (front/rear) MAF will cause poor fuel economy as well.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something more useful-suggestions from this site on proper air pressure.

Changed diff oil and transfer box oil in December.

Cleaned MAF last night and it started right up this morning. I'll give it a couple of days and then check mpg.

Thanks,

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either my fuel gauge is broken or cleaning the MAF thoroughly with electronic parts cleaner was a miracle. Went from 30 miles of stop and go driving before the needle dropped to 3/4 to 50 miles of driving. It also seems to be much more responsive. No check engine light on either.

Will do some highway driving too and then check MPG.

Thanks for the tips.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is what we are here for.... leave the tip an the bar.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell I'll but a couple of rounds! No Light (Code P1179) after a week and City MPG up from 10 to 14. Seems like it has a bit more pep too.

Thanks again. If this group ever has a round up anywhere anytime soon, I'll be buying a lot of rounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM