Vibration Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

vandermeulen

[SNIP] There originally was a question about a vibration at or about 70 mph...[SNIP]

Sorry for mangling your posts, Thomas...

(Not a prob.....I rambled a bit too long on too many topics..sorry guys)

Last edited by a moderator:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RE: the vibes. Panhard rod, bushings, alignment, wheel out of balance. Check 'em all...

V

vandermeulen

Thanks, I've gotten the wheels balanced (static and dynamic), replaced bushings on panhard rod, haven't done alignment yet (I should probably try that too).

What about wheels bearings and swivel preload etc...

I've read some great articles and the LR tech manual about adjusting by using shims. Do you really need a device to test the resistance when doing this and what and where exactly does one "shim" on these. (I read top swivel, but what do you use for shims and how do you know when you got it right?)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swivel pin preload wont cause vibes. It will cause funky/wobbly/wondering steering.
You dont need special device to measure resistance - spring loaded kitchen scale works perfectly.
Shims are going right under head of pin.

However i would suggest to look on rotoflex coupling blob, grease all u-joints properly, check ungreasable u-joint on front shaft for going dead. And do alignment.

V

vandermeulen

Thanks Sergei, good to know it's not swivel preload.

I replaced the roto coupler last month (as well as tie rod, pinion bearings etc..)

I've suspected for awhile that it may be propshaft U-joint but it doesn't seem loose, is there a definitive way to test them?

I've also read in other posts that it could be tires. I've got the stock 235-70-16 Michelin XTC's and the vibe seems worse on some road surfaces compared to others.

Also read somewhere (I read too much) that shocks could be an issue? Mine have nearly had it and I am planning to go with Scorpion 2" lift and shocks or OME setup in a couple of weeks if I can swing the cash.

Back to the cat & O2 issue......anybody have probs with generic cats'. Since LR made such a wonderful one piece Y-pipe and cat system, I'm going to have to get a cheapo muffler shop to weld a new one in since I don't have a welder.

What about generic O2's? I have a friend who says he can order me no name O2's for $105 Canadian (about ....what....$5.00 bucks U.S.?) - kidding! The supplier says they are 4 wire and come with both ends. (I hope).
Anybody have horror stories about generic O2's?

These are the only real problems I have with the vehicle (so far) and I really want to get them fixed before the snow sets in, so any suggestions are appreciated. Especially the vibe.....on Toronto freeways the speed limit is whatever the guy in front of you is doing so when I hit 70mph it bugs the hell out of me!

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The discussion on the cats-vs.-lambda sensors is in the original "Cat Question" thread...

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - would you like a cup of asami tea? :)

C

crroach71

Did you figure it out?

Thomas,

I have an '03 that we just bought, has a vibration at 80 mph, goes away at slower or faster speeds. I'm guessing tires, but clearly it could be something else. Did you figure out what was causing yours?

V

vandermeulen

I still have the shakes. (well the truck does anyway)

So far I've done:

new stabalizer (steering damper)
new tie rod ends
had the wheels balanced (static and dynamic)
done the swivel adjustment
checked the wheel bearings (had a mechanic do this)
checked the steering column play (had a LR mechanic do this)
new rubber coupling
checked u-joints
tires
new shocks

so far the truck still shakes. It actually got worse when I put on a new stabalizer.

Right now I'm waiting for new front end bushings (panhard arm and radius arm bushings)
I'm also planning to do the wheel bearings all around (evidently you sometimes can't always tell by the 12 & 6 test)
and I'm going to replace the u-joints soon as well.

I suspect on my vehicle it's probably the bushings as mine is older and when I looked at them they did look really beat and worn.

Yours being a newer vehicle could be tires (are they stock or have they been changed?)
Wheel Balance (get them checked out properly, they need to be done by someone who understands how to balance dynamic and static on the proper machine)
Alignment
I doubt the bushings or steering damper are bad at you vehicles age (although anything could happen)

You may also be getting "vibes" from exhaust problems

U-joints may evidently give you vibes at certain speeds only till they get worse (usually audible at some point on a lot of vehicles)

Are you getting just vibrations or is it the Disco Death Shake that makes the whole steering wheel feel like it's going to fly apart till you slow down?

I

iggywanna

I am getting the disco death shake

I am getting what you called the disco death shake Its a 96 disco 1. Its not so bad when the power steering fluid is full but man when it get low watch out. Mikesake time. Any clues?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink