Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

I have been dealing with avibration in my 99 D2 for months. This is a brief history:
-Vibration around 40 mph and again from 75-80 mph (but much worse at higher speed)
-balanced wheels
-Vibration still there
-alignment
-Vibration still there
-Bought new custom driveshaft
-Vibration still there
-bought new tires
-vibration still there
-Sent driveshaft back to be rebalanced
-Vibration is now much better but the vibration is still present at 40 mph. The bad vibration from 75-80 is gone!

With the front driveshaft out the vibrations are completely gone. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing the 40 mph vibration? I would hate to think it is still the driveshaft as it is new and has already been sent back once. There is not a machine shop close by that I could take the driveshaft to and have it checked. I really don't want to send it back, because at this point I would rather have my money back and find another driveshaft...

Thanks

D

discomike

Beau,
Cheer up, it could be worse.
You said you replaced the front drive shaft, with who's? Do you have a lift, if so how much?
How many miles on the truck?
Get back to me.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Panhard rod bushings worn/shot? Panhard rod shot?

Try the suspension/steering stuff, Beau. I had the exact same vibe and it was the panhard rod and bushings.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also are you sure your tires balanced. Some stuff is pita to balance so shop can tell you they got it done, but in fact it still will be off. Specially considering that Rover's tires shall not be balanced at the wheel center.

Other things - check for specs of dirt on shafts. Check if all bolts tightened (on flanges) to equal values.

You replaced front shaft? Or rear? Rear may transfer vibes over, so it would seem like its front.

Swivel balls preloading - is it set up to be at proper values? If not - it will cause shimmering and vibrations.

Bushings - specially front ones (panhard rod, radius arms) can cause vibes. Check all them bolts and nuts holding stuff in place - ones that holding radius arms can be sheared pretty badly.

Now down to nasty stuff:
- front hubs
- front differential pin
- cv-s..

C

campbell

Mike-
I replaced the front drive shaft with a GBR custom. No lift and the D2 has about 70K miles.

I think it is time to let a professional take a look at it... The vibe is not that bad and I may just be over reacting. I just don't want it to turn into something really bad. I am not mechanically inclined enough, nor do I have the time right now to diagnose this problem further. I really appreciate your help on this. I am about an hour from the nearest Land Rover shop.. I will have to find time to make an appointment. I will be sure to have them check the panhard rod and bushings first.

Thanks,

D

discomike

BC
So how much of a lift do you have in the front? Too much lift even with a good drive shaft can cause some vibration.
I would tell you it is not balance, alignment or suspension or steering, because they are not effected by the drive shaft. You can't have a problem with them if by unhooking the drive shaft it goes away.
I would suggest you go to a good drive line shop.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Mike J.

M

marc olivares

it's your pinion angle.
your drive shaft is causing the vibe, but is the result of out of phasing.

in order to correct this issue, a double (or multi) double shaft my be your solution. to clarify, a front shaft with a double cardon joint at each end.
this is the route i took to correct the front driveshaft vibes with my discovery.

scratch that, i just re-read your last post, not a pinion issue w/ no lift.
sorry

W

WillSloot

Vibration Oh Vibration

I am n the middle of this. I have been told that my Tires are cupped and I need new tires. The reason they are cupped is because my shocks were shot, my alignment is bad and my bearing need to be replaced. Yeay!

So, I am headed down that path to geth the car under control. Does this sound like something that is a correct diagnosis? I went to two shops and both gave the same answer.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you don't have a lift, and the vibration is gone completely with the front drive shaft out.... I would say either the driveshaft, or the bearings in the T-Case.

K

kasperking

Try checking to see if the rims are ok. I had the same problem and in the end I found out that the rims are shot. I am getting rid of the alloy's and going back to steel ones.

Pete

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink