Violent wheel shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiscoDamsel

Reaction score
A new problem has surfaced today with my 95 disco. Was driving about 55mph and slowing down for a stop and the steering wheel started severely shaking. I let off the brake and it stopped, but it did this for a while. I thought maybe it was a brake problem, but did it again later. Was around the same speed and there was no braking involved until it started happening. Keep in mind that the second time this happened i was at a maintained speed for several miles and in suddenly started shaking. It's not slight, it's a violent shake... please help

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look around for "death rattle" you will find a ton of info on this subject. However, when my 2000 DII did this replacing the steering dampner fixed it completely. There are many other problems that can cause the shake but the dampner is the cheap easy place to start.

DiscoDamsel

Reaction score
Thanks! We'll give that a shot. I found a thread on here about it. Searched it on google and got the obvious, but disturbing articles on the real death rattle. haha.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Swivel preload.

tonking

Reaction score
wheel shake

My 01 Disco II starts shaking at 70MPH. I had the tire's balanced twice and rotated and it still shakes. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Steering damper, the shocks, or the swivel preload.

trailblazer

Reaction score
i have this problem but only if i hit some rough road. local dealer said it was due to age and ware.. i replaced the bushes on the panhard rod and that made a big difference but did not completely solve it so now i am in the process of replacing all the bushes

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look around for "death rattle" you will find a ton of info on this subject. However, when my 2000 DII did this replacing the steering dampner fixed it completely.
Sorry, but it didn't. All you did is mask the problem.
Steering wobble is usually swivel preload being too light, but worn bushings can also cause it.

There are many other problems that can cause the shake but the dampner is the cheap easy place to start.
Never replace a damper to "cure" steering wobble. That is not the purpose of steering dampers.
It's like replacing a shock absorber to fix a broken spring.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99