What 18" tires should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've made a deal and will be receiving some LR3 18" wheels. Now I need to know what tires to put on them.

These will be used primarily for offroad use. For daily driving I still have my 19's with Syncrones. I will need to roll on these new tires to get to my offroad destinations (could possibly be up to 200 miles away if I go up north to the Seattle area) but aside from the get to and from scenario it's all offroad. For offroading I will be in rocks, mud, snow, and sand. No real heavy duty rock crawling.

What do you think?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommity, Nathan (Woods) on this forum is an excellent resource, and I'm sure he'll chime in. He has another website that contains a comprehensive list of tires that fit and don't fit. From that site, I found the Cooper Zeons and loved their look. I just bought a set for the exact same purpose you've described. ...I even kept my 19" rims and Synchrones (which I bought for $450!). The Zeons (285/60R18) BARELY fit on my LR3. Let's just say it's a good thing that they are for off-roading only because in Normal mode there may be rubbing issues and in Access mode they DEFINITELY will rub. Even in Off-road moad, at the very limit of my turning radius, they may rub the fender a bit....could be an offset thing too; I'd found some other rims that fit the vehicle and they are offset differently than the stock rims.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the BFG 265/65-18 A/T.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommity, Nathan (Woods) on this forum is an excellent resource, and I'm sure he'll chime in. He has another website that contains a comprehensive list of tires that fit and don't fit. From that site, I found the Cooper Zeons and loved their look. I just bought a set for the exact same purpose you've described. ...I even kept my 19" rims and Synchrones (which I bought for $450!). The Zeons (285/60R18) BARELY fit on my LR3. Let's just say it's a good thing that they are for off-roading only because in Normal mode there may be rubbing issues and in Access mode they DEFINITELY will rub. Even in Off-road moad, at the very limit of my turning radius, they may rub the fender a bit....could be an offset thing too; I'd found some other rims that fit the vehicle and they are offset differently than the stock rims.

Yeah, I've read what Nathan has listed on his website and here but since no talk of tires has happened recently I thought I'd re-ask the question.

You bought synchrones for $450? just tires alone or rims and tires? Either way it's a steal. We paid like $225 each for the tires but they are miles better then the crapyears they put on these things from the factory.

Good to hear about those Zeons. I like that they give an extra .75 inch ground clearance over stock as well. They look pretty aggresive.

We went out with Cascade Rovers last weekend for some fun in the snow. Unfortunately we ended up spending most of the day rescuing others but we still had a good time. I'm looking forward to our next run with them. You are Erek right?

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the BFG 265/65-18 A/T.

Thanks! It seems lots of people recommend the BFG's. Are they really that good or is it brand name awareness that makes people recommend them?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommity, you've got it right; I am Erek. How did ya know?

Anyhow, I wish I could've gone on that run with you guys, but my Son had Baseball practice and that takes priority. So, Rob actually had found a Craig's List ad for those Synchrones...they were in Redmond. They were used but barely...I mean the little rubber spikey things were still on the sides. Tires only; all 4, $450. It was a bargain.

I have a little bit of concern over the rubbing with the Zeons but not too much I guess. It may limit my turn radius just a little bit, but I don't very often crank the wheel that far anyway...******* the power steering pump I think. So really no big deal. The Zeons look even more aggressive in-person than in any picture. I am REALLY looking forward to testing them.

The other tire that looked good to me were the General Grabbers. The Yokohama Geolanders looked pretty nice as well. BFG is gonna get a lot of hype due to their name, that is true...but I think they are good. I think their strength and durability is more of a positive than the tread pattern per se.

It may be interesting for you to get the Grabbers or the BFGs so that if we are ever off-road together we can do a true comparison of tires...all else being equal. Do you have the HD package?

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob and I were talking about the removal of your running boards on the last run you made. I had mistakenly thought that you ripped one off and he corrected me. That's how I found out your name.

Your rubbing issue may have to do with the offset of your rims. You mentioned it may not be the same as the factory rims so maybe they are inset a bit more causing the rubbing...

Unfortunately, no I do not have the HD package. We originally ordered our LR3 with it but the wait time was close to 3 months and we needed it sooner. Our sales guy found us one with everything except the HD package and the adaptive lights so we went ahead and bought it so we didn't have to wait.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool....so what tires are you leaning towards?

Yeah that last run was fun....I'm looking into getting some sliders so that I won't have to worry about running boards and rocker panels anymore. I want something that can bolt on and off easily and replace the running boards when I go on runs. I may be able to use the same brackets or at least the same mounting locations.

Where about do you live? You said "200 miles away if I go up north to the Seattle area" before...are you in Portland?

I think the offset is actually OUT more and I am rubbing on the fender flare thing. If those tires didn't stick out so much they would be just inside the flare. ...and tire is a 285, it's considerably wider than the stock 255.

I think the BFGs are a little taller and the Zeons are a little wider. The General Grabbers might be just right.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Vancouver, so yeah, right next to Porkland.

Right now I'm actually leaning towards the Zeon's because the look so nice and are cheaper then my second choice which is the BFG's but I haven't even received my rims yet so I have time to look at some more reviews, etc.

The Zeons are 1.45 inches taller then stock. The BFG's are about 1.7 inches taller. The General Grabbers are dead on stock size of 30"

Sliders would be kewl. I like the look of Nathans but not the price tag. I think I'll end up getting a winch before I go with sliders.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on all counts.

I'm in Portland a lot...I grew up there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635