What is this hollow tube? (Image Attached)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking out my battery area in LR3 2005 looking for Transmission ECU but discovered a detached hollow tube running from around the fusebox not connected to anything . Do you know what that is? Look at the attached pics. Is this how it's supposed to be or is it missing some connection somewhere?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• Tube1.png
    Tube1.png
    697.1 KB · Views: 245
  • Tube2.png
    Tube2.png
    669.9 KB · Views: 252

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, it was battery overflow drain. Attached!

Attachments

• TubeFixed1.jpg
    TubeFixed1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 209

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Some batteries require distilled water or other fluids in order to operate.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the battery vent tube. It is not always used, as some batteries do not have a vent.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wet-cell batteries sometimes use them. If anyone uses an Optima Yellowtop battery, is it worth all the money? My current battery is fine, but plan on changing soon.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check both sides of the battery for a vent. I had a battery vent tube become clogged and it ruined the 4x4 control unit. It took three months and two grand to fix it. The battery can boil and spill acid directly onto the control unit.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check both sides of the battery for a vent. I had a battery vent tube become clogged and it ruined the 4x4 control unit. It took three months and two grand to fix it. The battery can boil and spill acid directly onto the control unit.

This is really interesting! The Terrain Response is not responding or working, also Low Range won't work either. The indy dealer says it's the actuator or something. Haven't gotten it fixed yet.

BTW this is a brand new battery that I installed not long ago. The replaced one was seriously corroded on the negative terminal side. Wonder if the cause is similar to what you described?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was just replaced, same exact corrosion on the negative terminal. Sounds like it wasn't an isolated problem!

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was just replaced, same exact corrosion on the negative terminal. Sounds like it wasn't an isolated problem!

Wow! I see a pattern here. @roverman, what did you have to replace? An actuator or ECU?

Thanks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, just the battery and negative cable. Fortunately it was found when it was, sounds like it could have gotten expensive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink