What type of coolant, oil and filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratcliff

Reaction score
I have seen different opinions here so I thought that I would see if there is a consensus.

What type of oil and oil filter do you use? I have been buying the LR filter from the dealer and using Castrol 5W30 as it says on the oil cap.

What type of coolant should I use? Is the pre-mixed green stuff OK or should I use something else?

Thanks!

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the factory filter, Mob 1 synthetic.

I think the coolant is supposed to be the orange (dexcool), but check the manual to be for sure or call a dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited:

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil1 as well - 5W30 SUV

Factory filter - easy to find on EBAY

Ratcliff

Reaction score
OK, if you use the factory filter then what type of wrench do you use? With the hoses near the bottom, I find that the strap wrenches have a hard time getting to it. I can not find a 16 flute cap wrench. On my first oil change my hands worked fine, but I am sure that at some point I will need to use a wrench.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any universal filter wrench will fit any oil filter.
If you want some additional protection, use either a Mobil 1-301 or a K&N 3001 oil filter both of which will give you about 40% more filter media that a factory filter.
Also our engines will run better/give more protection is you use a 10W/40, in my case, I use Mobil 1's 10W/40 Extended mileage oil.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge