What's with the evoques

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, want to know where these trucks are going? They are being shipped to countries with the money.
More accurate to say they are shipped to countries with uncompetitive, undeveloped marketplaces with endemic price gouging. The country with "the money" is the United States, which has more millionaires than any other country. Goods flow where prices are high.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lived in Chicago, London, and now Doha Qatar and travelled the world. I promise you the wealth here dwarfs what you see in the US. The US might have quite a few wealthy people, sure.. but as a whole it is a very small percentage of the population. Qatar is the highest per-capita GDP in the entire world.

In the US, you see joe blow driving his Honda Accord or whatever budget family sedan. Here, the daily beater car for the locals is the $80k+ Land Cruiser. And when I say beater, I mean they are completely dispensable trucks. They are beaten and battered in the desert dune bashing and replaced like you and I would replace an old pair of shoes. The evening / weekend cars are their toys. Ultra exotics like Brabus Mercs, modified Aventadors, etc are the norm. 911s and BMW M cars are boring by the standard. You can't go more than a block without spotting a 100k+ car each and every single day.

So yea, the US with its massive population has a bunch of rich but I would argue the consumption of the wealthy here is far far greater than the wealthy of the US.

You can look at the classified ads here and quite often see these cars with <2000 miles on them being resold. It's just someone that's grown bored of their toy of the month and have bought something else.

Honestly, it is a level of gross spending unlike I have seen anywhere else in the entire world.

Last edited:

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lived in Chicago, London, and now Doha Qatar and travelled the world. I promise you the wealth here dwarfs what you see in the US. The US might have quite a few wealthy people, sure.. but as a whole it is a very small percentage of the population. Qatar is the highest per-capita GDP in the entire world.

In the US, you see joe blow driving his Honda Accord or whatever budget family sedan. Here, the daily beater car for the locals is the $80k+ Land Cruiser. And when I say beater, I mean they are completely dispensable trucks. They are beaten and battered in the desert dune bashing and replaced like you and I would replace an old pair of shoes. The evening / weekend cars are their toys. Ultra exotics like Brabus Mercs, modified Aventadors, etc are the norm. 911s and BMW M cars are boring by the standard. You can't go more than a block without spotting a 100k+ car each and every single day.

So yea, the US with its massive population has a bunch of rich but I would argue the consumption of the wealthy here is far far greater than the wealthy of the US.

You can look at the classified ads here and quite often see these cars with <2000 miles on them being resold. It's just someone that's grown bored of their toy of the month and have bought something else.

Honestly, it is a level of gross spending unlike I have seen anywhere else in the entire world.
If every wealthy person in the US lived in a city the size of Chicago, you would observe the same thing you are noticing in Doha Qatar times 20. You can't compare the wealth of a huge country with the worlds biggest and most diverse economy to a city-state with a few hundred thousand relatives of some royal family who all get a royalty check monthly and whose economy would collapse over a drop in the price of a single commodity.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If every wealthy person in the US lived in a city the size of Chicago, you would observe the same thing you are noticing in Doha Qatar times 20. You can't compare the wealth of a huge country with the worlds biggest and most diverse economy to a city-state with a few hundred thousand relatives of some royal family who all get a royalty check monthly and whose economy would collapse over a drop in the price of a single commodity.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from but look at the bigger picture for Land Rover. If they have a finite amount of FFRR, RR Sport, and LR4s, where do you think they would ship them off to? The US where the price is arguably the cheapest of any country in the world or these ME / Asian countries where they can get 50-200% more for their products?

It sucks, sure... but until they ramp production to satisfy the market I completely understand why they aren't sending them to the US.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the side effect from a concept car look. It fades quickly and there is nowhere to evolve the design, you can only go backwards. I said this last year and this design direction is going to bite LR. The Evoque has become quite dorky looking... And the sentiment is going to carry over to the RRS eventually. The Evoque was an unfortunate helo vehical when it should have come from the top down, rather than the bottom up. Hopefully LR can correct this design blunder with the new Discovery line. And sadly their weakness is showing and the competition is moving right into their space faster than they can react.

Last edited:

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has me paying more attention when I'm out driving around.
I do see more Evoques than LRs, though not as many as RR/RRS.

I actually like the way they look, saw a sharp black and white one this morning. Without ever being in one or even looking inside, it seems to me like it's almost the same crowd who would want a mini cooper but with the luxuries and functionality that LR offers. If I had slightly different wants for my car I could see researching an Evoque as a potential purchase.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my "LR Order" thread, my wife liked the looks of the Evoque enough that she asked for a test drive today after we bought our LR4. I drove the Evoque a bit as well. It's not a race car, but it has enough power. It had a smooth comfortable ride and handled very well. It's not as luxurious as our LR4 LUX, but then again we test drove a lower optioned Evoque probably more akin to the base LR. The inside is as roomy as a Audi A4 or a BMW 3 series. I think the Evoque interior is nicer than both of those.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has me paying more attention when I'm out driving around.
I do see more Evoques than LRs, though not as many as RR/RRS.

I actually like the way they look, saw a sharp black and white one this morning. Without ever being in one or even looking inside, it seems to me like it's almost the same crowd who would want a mini cooper but with the luxuries and functionality that LR offers. If I had slightly different wants for my car I could see researching an Evoque as a potential purchase.
Here in San Carlos it's full of Evoques and Range Rover Sports driven by soccer moms. Once in a great while they "allow" their husband to drive. It's quite comical.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM