Wheel question-Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iznof

Reaction score
Is there a solvent or cleaner for removing the caked up baked on brake dust around the outside of LR wheels?

D

disco1

First wash off as much of the dirt as possible, then spray the wheel with WD40....works wonders.

iznof

Reaction score
I just tried that with no luck. The stuff is baked on and very hard and black, you cant even pick it off with your fingernail.....

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use P21S on my P-car with great results, but was referred to "Hot Rims" by Meguier's for neglected wheels. I promise this product is worth trying!! I used it on the wheel I destroyed by running my pads too far down and I didnt try very hard but with a little agitation it was taking off crap (metal/rust) I couldnt scrub off with car wash soap. Very Impressed, the minute the snow is gone Im using it and going to town on all the wheels and crevices where brake dust has built up.

once you have done this, apply a few coats of your fav wax to prevent brake dust from sticking again. I recommend rejex, its amazing, I use it on the rover and the porsches wheels. www.http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Last edited:

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a good idea, waxing the rim to keep stuff from sticking. I think I'll give it a try.

R

Rover Puppy

I buy this magical stuff at Walmart that works great. It's wheel cleaner in an orange spray bottle. I think it's called Eagle One? It works great - just spray it on, leave it for a few minutes, then spray the wheels down with water. Cleans the gunkiest wheels without scrubbing, no matter how long caked mud and and brake dust have been cooking in the hot sun.

For FUN (!!!), after that spray down your tires with Armorall tire foam. It's like spray painting your tires with a thick coat of fake christmas snow. Just discovered that stuff and it really is way too much fun to use :) and it looks totally cool when you spray it on :). After the foam melts away, tires look shiny and brand new, even way down in the deep treads.

Good Luck, Jamie

A

Angelos

On the subject of wheel cleaning..... whenever I get my Disco muddy, I take it to the car wash for cleaning. The guy there insists on power washing the wheels (I know his intentions are good) hence blasting my ABS sensors.
Result: Whenever I go to the car wash I gotta visit the garage afterwards because my ABS goes haywire !!!!
What do you guys do? Getting rid of the ABS is not an option, I like the feeling of it being there when I brake.
Can I just take the wheel off and put the sensor in place? At least that's what the garage guys do - and it works fine afterwards.....

D

discomike

I power scrub my wheels 2 to 3 times a month when washing and have never had a problem. Mine is a 99 D2. I believe some of the older trucks had ABSwire connector pronlems which alled water to be a problem, no so on the newer ones.
Mike J.

R

Rover Puppy

I use a power washer on my D2 without any troubles. I was advised to spray the heck out of my brakes after I've been out on the trail or the mud would wear down my brake pads quickly just like sandpaper.

If I were you, I'd lose the car wash. Never thought I'd become someone who washed my own truck, but it happened. Now I wouldn't want anyone else washing it. I've learned what trail debris gets stuck where and where I can spray water full blast without harming anything and where I need to use a garden hose lightly to prevent self inflicted cleaning damage. In addition, doing it myself forces me to take a good look at everything, so I notice if something isn't quite right.

Home Depot sells an awesome electrical power washer for $59.

Good Luck, Jamie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo