When I turn, especially right, I hear a tone / whine in rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

ColeSQ

Hi --

Just bought a 2001 LR Disco II SE7 and have noticed a strange noise seemingly coming from the rear of the vehicle when I steer, particularly when the vehicle is going slowly and turning right. Though I do hear it when going left it is more pronounced going right. It seems to be less and less prevalent when the vehicle is traveling faster.

I have read some things on forums about ACE issues but can't effectively tie the things I have read to this. Can anyone confirm that these artifacts are consistent with the ACE system? What do you recommend I do to remedy (if anything)?

Thanks much in advance,

Shayne Cole

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Shane...how many miles? please describe the noise...(whine, clunk, whistle, ticking??).....

C

ColeSQ

redrover51 said:
Hi Shane...how many miles? please describe the noise...(whine, clunk, whistle, ticking??).....

Hi, Joseph --

44K miles, definitely closest to a whine, but more like a consistent pitched tone if that makes any sense. I thinks it's a C flat, but it's been years since worked with sheet music. ;-> Thanks again!

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Shane...I am a musician, and this should be sweet music to your ears, take that beast to the L.R. dealership, with all the paper-work and history you can find, and ask them to please repair it under the 50K mile warrantee...and watch the fun begin! Do NOT let off the pressure, be really NICE to every-one, take your wife with you, tell them how you will some-day buy the new L.R. because of thier reputation of "standing behind thier vehicles!" Then write letters to L.R. of N.A, and just be more patient than they are...it won't cost you a penny for the repair. best of sucess to you, see you on the trails!

D

discomike

If the ACE were making any noise it would be coming from the ACE pump under the hood. I would suggest you have someone listen to your rear diff, probably may have never been serviced, may have a bearing going out but not likely. By the way, have someone service your ACE, or get back to me and I'll tell you how to do it, they will get noisey with old fluid.
Good luck,
Mike J.

C

ColeSQ

redrover51 and Disco_Mike: Thanks for these insights. I was able to book an appt for tomorrow at the LR dealer (going to take the 'dumb guy with a warranty' approach to this thing first). Guess I'm back to driving the old truck with dent in the side for a day or two ;->

Disco_Mike: I will probably take you up on that ACE offer on the back end of all this (thanks again). Never did an ACE before so this will be new territory to say the least.

Thanks to you both. I'll get my good behavior ready for the service dept now...

Take care,

Shayne

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9