Whining noise - might be different than others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MToomey

I've done my share of research on this site regarding the whine experienced by many DII owners, I too have the whine :(

Mine is a 2001, SE7 with 56,000 miles on her. She likes to whine from start and idle to about 40 MPH (or where the engine and wind sound distorts said whine). No problems at all with steering. All fluids are topped off and good to go.

I've read the bit about the notorious ACE, I've read about possibility of idler pulley, but I did notice something new today...

I went to turn my AC on while in park, and the whine increased dramatically.

Anyone want to venture a guess on where to start?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. As gas goes higher and summer prices don't look hopeful, I broke down and bought a 1998 GTI. I think it has more HP than the Disco.... :)

N

NHESS81

It may have more horsepower, but I guarantee you CAN park the Discon on top of the GTI, but you CANT park the GTI on top of the Disco lol

Hmm...so the whine is NOT the gear whine that is common? It is SOMTHING else? Could be your fans up front...have you opened the hood, and just stared at the engine while its running, and tried to see if you can locate the general area?

D

drnknmnky13

NHESS81 said:
It may have more horsepower, but I guarantee you CAN park the Discon on top of the GTI, but you CANT park the GTI on top of the Disco lol

BWaahaaahaaahaaa That actually got an audible chuckle out of me.

I would start at the belts. Try putting some toothpaste on them (not while the engine is running..I have a friend who lost the tip of his fibger that way) if the whining lessens replace the belts. if it doesn't then move on and the Tp will disolve. Is the whine there in nutral? If so does it increase if you rev the engine?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by replacing the idle pulley (or at least start my listening there) get a long screwdriver or a mechanics stethiscope and check it out.

M

MToomey

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I will start with attaching a rod to my ear, with some toothpaste, engine running, and hope I don't lop off an ear.

Honestly thanks. I will report a back with findings.

R

rock2006

I have a 2000D2 I am experiences whinning noise. I am going to start with the cheapest way out first. I was told by a mechanic that if he removed the belt he can turn the pully and or alternator to determine where the noise is coming from. I will start next Thursday and will notify you when I get some answers. By the way I have three lights that are on TC, ABS, Hill descent symbol are they all connected by fixing one problem?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cummins