whining/squeal under acceration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomant

Reaction score
Evening forum,

I am driving a 1999 series two td5 manual (standard, no mods) with 179,000 km. Under normal or rapid acceleration the engine develops a squeal between 2200 to 2900 rpm, sometime more, sometimes less. When I take off slowly, there is no discernly noise. The sound stops when I stop accelerating, or when I get to cruising speed.

I suspect a dodgy pully, but would welcome the thoughts of the forum to diagnose the issue.

Cheers

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your serpentine belt tensioner to see if it still moves around smoothly maintaining a even belt tension and not stuck or frozen.
I even go as far as using bicycle chain lube wax based (White Lighting) with a fast evaporating solvent leaving behind a waxy dirt free collecting lubricant vs any oil based lube.
I can press down on the belt and have the tensioner back off as well take up smoothly and evenly. Bearing replacement also a cheap item under $8.00.
Frozen you have no constant pressure around the accessories hence slip.
I'm on the 5th belt on a 95 D1, Dayton belts are crap and cracking up the grooved insides.
Carl.....~~=o&o>.....

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheers, thanks for that. Seemed to check out so no dramas

If your tensioner idler pulley (the one that also spins 2-3 times faster than the crank)
has a lot of miles I would replace the bearing.
Between starting to make noise and failure comes up rather quickly like stranding you in in the middle of Nowhwere.
On my 95 Disco this bearing can be replaced on the road a 40 mintute job shutdown to running again. I learned this after a road failure with no accessory belt aka water pump, never again carry spare bearing and serp belt.

I read you have a diesel vs into the 5,500 rpm range I hit at times hence that tension idler pulley is really spinning up.

.....~~=o&o>......

atomant

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. And apoligies for the delay in updating. The belts and hoses all check out and are fully functional. I have noticed a black 'soot' at the rear of the engine. Based on threads read, it seems that the issue may be a warped head, so after new years, off to the mechanic to get it removed and skinned/shaved. Normally I would attempt the removal myself, but working in a garage during a 30 degree celcius (75% humidity) summer is not my idea of fun. No fluid leaks, so hopefully no further issues.

Again thanks for all the help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A warped head will not cause the squealing noises you mentioned, but a bad or old belt will.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak