Wife bent the Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

GregS

Hi all...It's been awhile. Lets get to it. My wife while driving our 2000 D2 rear ended a Tahoe with a large trailer hitch. It was at a very low speed and after removing the cracked plastic bumper and dinged steering protector, everything else looks good. Even the crush cans are unharmed. Problem is that there seems to be a slight rubbing in the steering column when the wheel is at about the five o'clock position. Took it over to the local dealer and he says one of the nuts at the joint in the steering column is rubbing the fire wall. Reason being that the column is made to collapse and that's what it did to a degree. The truck drives fine, tracks good with no vibrations what so ever. Dealer said that the column had shifted towards the passenger compartment at the connection right behind the steering box which in turn shifted the entire assembly within the engine compartment aft. I'm still trying to get my mind around a forward impact causing the steering column to move rearward. Anyway, I've looked at it and there seems to be about a half inch of column clamped at the connector directly behind the steering box. Can someone verify the amount of column clamped within that connector on a healthy Disco? If indeed the column has shifted, can the torx screw on that clamp be loosened and the column manipulated forward as a fix. The steering box is in it's original position as well as the column remaining true (straight). The dealer wants $750.00 to replace the steering column plus whatever for the new bumper, brakets and steering arm protector. What do you think....
Also, anybody got any recomendations on an after market bumper to replace the original. It's got stock springs and shocks so weight may be an issue without reworking the suspension. Thanks, Greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635