winter/off road tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bombardier

Recently picked up a 2003 SE7. the 18" wheels look great, but are lacking in the winter. I'd like to pick up some 16" discovery wheels that come on the S model and add winter tires and just swap wheel packages for summer/winter or if i'm hitting a trail for the weekend.

the proplem is it looks hard to find an aggressive off-road tire to fit the 16" rim (no lift......yet).

have run BFG all-terain TA, and Goodyear MTRs on other SUVs and love both tires' performance. looks like Goodyear doesn't make a 16" MTR to fit a stock Rover...closests it can get to BFG is 245/70/16....so it looks like BFG.

any other aggressive tires out there that anyone is running on 16" wheels with no lift? Thanks....the more i drive this discovery the more i love it......but the 18" tires don't cut it in snow. thoughts? thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A D2 can run a 245-75-16 with out rub and a 265-75-16 without much issues if I recall correctly.

S

scrboy

I'm running 245/75R16 MTRs on my DII. So Joey is right with those, they'll fit nicely and a good tire I think, on my second set as of last week. What wheels came on the S model anyway?

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Speaking of winter tires does anyone know if you get better traction/stopping on a narrower tire? The stock tire is 255/65/16 but I think you can run a more narrow 235/70/16 which may improve grip/stopping distances, is this a myth? What do you guys think?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
a Narrow tire is better in mud and wet roads, a wider tire is better is snow and dry pavement.

Driving skills priceless :biggrin:

B

bombardier

scrboy said:
I'm running 245/75R16 MTRs on my DII. So Joey is right with those, they'll fit nicely and a good tire I think, on my second set as of last week. What wheels came on the S model anyway?

sweet, love the MTR....so no rubbing or anything? that's a touch over 30" correct? i sure hope they fit, love the performance and they look killer. thanks

B

bombardier

I saw a DII S this w/e and check out the stock tires and they were 255/65

S

scrboy

no rubbing on mine anyway and the spare barely fits on back but it fits and im sure ive got pics somewhere on this computer :) 30.6-7 is the actual size I believe, close to that anyway but yea they fit nicely. on ive got a 2001 d2 so i'm thinking with your bumper they might actually fit better, the tires are like an inch or less from rubbing on the bottom most part on my front bumper but theyve never rubbed or anything in almost 3 years. so yea ive had no issue with them so far, they just get louder as they wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99