won't get out of PARK...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mge_1

ok peeps... something wierd is happening to our 00 discoii (70k miles) and it just started this weekend. hope someone has some info on this one.

it wont go out of park. simple as that. i am pressing the button on the knob but it wont go out of park (P). i need to drive this bad boy.

i am also stepping on the brake. doing the usual things that worked before but now its stuck in park.

actually after trying a few times it comes out and i can put it to drive (d) or anywhere else. but when i shut it off again and start from scratch boom. its happening more often now.

what's going on? help please.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
hi was just reading on another post but perhaps you should have your brake interlock switch replaced or checked.

M

mge_1

hmmm... so thats what it is right? "brake interlock switch" anyone got info on how to replace it or we have no choice but to bring it back to the dealer? any info would be much appreciated. thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like your brake switch either fell off or is broken. This switch is mounted on a bracket that operates when the brake pedal is depressed. This switch operates the solonoid that releases your shift lever. Hopefully this is your problem. Also check your fuses. You may have a short in your brake lights. If this is the case, you have a much bigger problem.

Also, pop the top off the shift lever (plastic cover) and see if the c-clip came off the top of the shift rod. If it does, the car won't come out of park

M

mge_1

joey said:
Sounds like your brake switch either fell off or is broken. This switch is mounted on a bracket that operates when the brake pedal is depressed. This switch operates the solonoid that releases your shift lever. Hopefully this is your problem. Also check your fuses. You may have a short in your brake lights. If this is the case, you have a much bigger problem.

Also, pop the top off the shift lever (plastic cover) and see if the c-clip came off the top of the shift rod. If it does, the car won't come out of park

my wife was able to drive it out this morning. i think out disco dont like me. so i guess its an on and off thing. that switch must be going bad. i'll call the dealer to see how much and will order it asap. is this part easy to replace by anychance?

M

mge_1

Nathan called me back and he said he has the part i need in stock. I will order one ASAP. Thanks JOEY!

J

john65b

I had the same problem on my Disco '02, but the problem only arose when I was parked on an uphill incline. When parked at work or in the garage (flat) no problems.

After jiggling the gear selector and turning the steering wheel, I was always able to break it free. I thought the parking gear is just jamming....

M

mge_1

good tip. i will try it out when it gets stuck again. in the meantime i did order the "brake switch" and it should be here anyday now just in case. but ya for some odd reason my wife has been driving the disco to work and she has no problems with it. when i drive it, it acts up. funny i think our disco dont like me at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112