wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronald r landry

Reaction score
bon jour mon ami ! I wish to thank the staff an its members for this opportunity to participate in this organization. I am 74 and have been married to Bess for 48 years. we purchased our 2004 land rover discovery new, and have enjoyed it until recently. we have a problem ,and hope someone can help. we are some 80 plus miles from the nearest L.R.dealer. It will not start. (turn over) the battery is O.K. the relry is O.K. when the key is on all electrical components work. the vehicle can be started by jumping the leads at the starter. my next thought would be the neutral safety switch. Is there a way to check this out without removing?. I would appreciate any help you can offer. many thanks Ron

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I am going to move this thread to the Discovery since it is more technical in nature.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Disco MIke, this might be more up your alley....

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: starting

bon jour mon ami ! I wish to thank the staff an its members for this opportunity to participate in this organization. I am 74 and have been married to Bess for 48 years. we purchased our 2004 land rover discovery new, and have enjoyed it until recently. we have a problem ,and hope someone can help. we are some 80 plus miles from the nearest L.R.dealer. It will not start. (turn over) the battery is O.K. the relry is O.K. when the key is on all electrical components work. the vehicle can be started by jumping the leads at the starter. my next thought would be the neutral safety switch. Is there a way to check this out without removing?. I would appreciate any help you can offer. many thanks Ron

Hi Ron;

If this was on my old Dodge - I would toss the starter into the bin and go get a new one but Landi's can be peculiar so it may well be something else.
Any starting/starter issues leading up to this or did this just come on overnight?

Wolf

ronald r landry

Reaction score
Hi Ron;

If this was on my old Dodge - I would toss the starter into the bin and go get a new one but Landi's can be peculiar so it may well be something else.
Any starting/starter issues leading up to this or did this just come on overnight?

Wolf
thanks wolf sorry for the delay in getting back to you due to health problems. on three occasions prior to completely becoming disabled It was necessary to keep trying to engage the engine . after a short time it would start. I really appreciate your help. as previously stated It will start by jumping the starter leads. thanks ron

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This could also be the Crank Position sensor

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the solenoid (located on the starter) might be bad. That is if you did
Jump right to the starter as previously mentioned.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9