World Land Rover Day 2018 (4.30.18)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of around 22 minutes in the above video, the only thing they talk about regarding the future of Land Rover is technology, such as autonomy, that will take away the "stressful" driving part and get onto what Land Rover feels is the most important part: arriving at your destination and getting out of a Land Rover.

who cares about capability and driving experience. Just get me there and let me out! Seems like a great approach to celebrate 70yrs milestone...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if they have the damn thing designed yet.

They apparently have the drivetrain as evidenced by the test mule, but is it possible that the design is so contentious that there is some internal drama going on?

I have read interviews with LR folk that claim they are keeping it under wraps so that it won't be copied. But copied by who? Jeep has their own thing, and the JL is already out. The Bronco will probably be based off of the Bronco. Mercedes already has the G-Wagon out.

If it's capable of being copied by anyone else other than that, it's safe to say it's going to suck.

So is the damn thing even designed yet? It's been a really long time.

Meanwhile, the Velar went from "announced" to "production" in a few months. Yet they've been sitting on the Defender for years. What the hell is going on?

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if they have the damn thing designed yet.

They apparently have the drivetrain as evidenced by the test mule, but is it possible that the design is so contentious that there is some internal drama going on?

I have read interviews with LR folk that claim they are keeping it under wraps so that it won't be copied. But copied by who? Jeep has their own thing, and the JL is already out. The Bronco will probably be based off of the Bronco. Mercedes already has the G-Wagon out.

If it's capable of being copied by anyone else other than that, it's safe to say it's going to suck.

So is the damn thing even designed yet? It's been a really long time.

Meanwhile, the Velar went from "announced" to "production" in a few months. Yet they've been sitting on the Defender for years. What the hell is going on?

Maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention but it felt to me like the audience was uncomfortable being there. Could be I’ve seen too many Top Gear episodes and wrongly expected a more jovial atmosphere. I agree though. What could they be waiting for?

Here’s a novel idea. Base it off the Defender. Each one of the examples you mention all seem to have a good direction based on a strong heritage. Bronco excluded but all indications point that way.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to say Land Rover's product line has become boring. They all look the same. I'm not interested in my 4wd/camping/functional truck morphing into a sports SUV/CUV/van. Sales volumes will probably skip a generation as Land Rover figures it out.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a novel idea. Base it off the Defender. Each one of the examples you mention all seem to have a good direction based on a strong heritage. Bronco excluded but all indications point that way.

The 2020 Bronco is looking like it could be modeled after the original Bronco. Here's a teaser under a sheet:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a19446486/2020-ford-bronco-first-photo/

What it could possibly look like:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/64133459/2020-Bronco-Unveiled

Although I sort of doubt it will be anything but a 4-door.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I finally figured out what bugged me so much about that concept.

kia.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99